Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Liquid yeast question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
winkkle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Liquid yeast question

First time using liquid yeast and have a couple question. Is it necessary to let the smack pack to incubate for 3 or more hours? And if so can I go ahead and pour the wort into the carboy and wait a couple hours to pitch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
JTylerSingletary
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The 3 hours is a "proofing" time to verify viable yeast. It is not necessary to wait the 3 hours, however it may increase the lag time if you smack then immediately pitch. In short, it's best to make sure it's viable, but it is not required.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkkle
First time using liquid yeast and have a couple question. Is it necessary to let the smack pack to incubate for 3 or more hours? And if so can I go ahead and pour the wort into the carboy and wait a couple hours to pitch?
No and yes to your questions

Be aware that unless you are brewing a beer that has an OG of 1.040 or less you are most likely under pitching your beer.

If you continue to use liquid strains learn how to make starters. Use Www.mrmalty.com or Www.yestvalc.com to calculate pitch rates for appropriate sized starters.

This is not to say your beer will not ferment but your fermentations and your beer will be better for making them

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
winkkle
Recipes 

Yea I usually use dry yeast. So this whole
Liquid yeast is all new.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
mclaughlindw4
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just used the Mr. Malty calculator for my 1.038 OG saison I will be brewing and it says I need to start with two packages of liquid yeast (because the yeast was dated in november, the viability is calculated at 38%). This seems rediculous. Does this assume the small vials of yeast and not the smack packs? Also it only works with 1 liter starters and I plan on doing closer to a 2 liter starter. Why can't I change this in the calculator?

Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaughlindw4
I just used the Mr. Malty calculator for my 1.038 OG saison I will be brewing and it says I need to start with two packages of liquid yeast (because the yeast was dated in november, the viability is calculated at 38%). This seems rediculous. Does this assume the small vials of yeast and not the smack packs? Also it only works with 1 liter starters and I plan on doing closer to a 2 liter starter. Why can't I change this in the calculator?
Use yeast calc, you can change more settings.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
mclaughlindw4
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Use yeast calc, you can change more settings.
That's way better. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
winkkle
Recipes 

Came home to my blowoff tube out if a glass. Liquid on the counter. I will say this is the most vigorous fermentation I've had and its either I've been under pitching or this one is how it should be. I usually see bubbles in the glass and krausen on the carboy but never this much krausen in the tube and in the glass of Sanitizer.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

From the horse's mouth.

Quote:
From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.
Smacking though fun, is never really necessary.

Making the starter is all that matters, not whether or not the pack inflating. It's fine!!!
There's no need to start with a smaller starter or anything. Just proceed as normal.

Heck I rarely even bother waiting for it to inflate, I pop the nutrient pack, give it a shake, and dump it into my starter wort. Saves waiting.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2106 Times on 1844 Posts
Likes Given: 1554

What got me about liquid yeasts is that my white labs vials say it can be pitched straight into wort up to OG1.070 without a starter.
Mine was OG1.055 & I did the starter anyway. Pitched it tueday evening,& around lunch time today initial fermentation is done. It took until about 9AM yesterday to start fermenting. I wonder if the vial pitched straight would take about the same time? Might try it tomorrow & see.

Quick Reply