Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Liquid yeast fermentation failed. Just ordered dry yeast; should I re-hydrate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #1
krantze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Liquid yeast fermentation failed. Just ordered dry yeast; should I re-hydrate?

I shook up my liquid yeast before I pitched and when I cracked the seal it exploded, losing half the yeast. It has been 4 days since then and any minimal activity there once was has ceased. I just ordered Cooper's dry yeast and am wondering what the best method of pitching would be since the wort has already seen at least some yeast activity. Should I re-hydrate or just sprinkle it on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Just dump it in. You'll have more than enough cells for a good strong fermentation.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm not sure I agree with that. I think re-hydrating is always a good idea with dry yeast. Especially when you start out with a very low yeast count. Obviously the yeast aren't doing very well, so why pitch more half-good yeast into the beer?

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
BIGREDIOWAN
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd rehydrate, but everyone is gonna have their own opinion on the matter.

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!"

Bottled:Kolsch
Bottled:Black Lager
In Primary:Pumpkin Ale
Planning:

Rolling Hills Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-m...-build-261067/

Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #5
shawnbou
Zyme Lord

Recipes 

Likes Given: 44

Rehydrating is always a good idea with dry yeast, and it won't hurt anything as long as you sanitize whatever container you use.

However, did you check gravity and make sure the yeast you pitched didn't finish the job? I've had many brews cease visible activity after four days and turn out great. Even if you underpitched, the yeast may have multiplied to get the job done.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I second Shawnbou's comment.. A low pitching rate could have given you a slower more gradual fermentation (no explosive blow-off tube fun) but may still have finished the beer out in 4 days with ease. Check you gravity, if it's within 2 points of your desired FG call it done and keg or bottle. Adding more yeast at that point won't do much except waste a package of yeast.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
earwig

Recipes 

Likes Given: 23

I rarely rehydrate and my beer comes out awesome everytime. Dry yeast has more than enough cells in it for a 2.5 gallon batch. I'd even be willing to bet that it would technically be over-pitching for that batch size if you use that many healthy cells. If i wasn't lazy, tired and on my phone I'd check mr malty

Edit: remember he already had 1/2 vial of liquid yeast in there as well.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
krantze
Recipes 

Yeah I took a gravity reading yesterday and I was at 1.06; hardly any fermentation.

I'm leaning toward throwing it in dry given the way liquid yeast has not responded to my recipe. It's all settled at the bottom. I've stirred it up very well twice and both times after a few minutes of fermentation it would settle and fermentation would slow to a crawl. At least the dry yeast would chill at the top for a little while.

Quick Reply