Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Liquid or Dry Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #21
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

I add a few pellots to the starter, I doubt your really only decanting only beer unless you crash it in the fridge. Make shure you sanitize the rim good also before adding it to the fermenter.I dump the whole thing,I want all the yeast. My starters have been too cloudy to tell what Im pourning off unless I cold crash it. Plus it smells good with hops .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #22
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
You'll be using about half a cup of DME to make the starter and then you pour off 80% of that before pitching your starter into the 5 gallon batch of wort. I doubt you can taste that little amount and if you could, it's just DME that has been fermented, beer without the hops.
Why pour 80% out? Isn't that wasting yeast?

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #23
jonmohno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
I would add it,its a small starter.Im not really comfortable with 24 hours either,I visually see it fermenting still up to two days that is below 70 deg temps also. Ideally you want 70 deg temps for the 24 hr starter and a stirplate will generate more yeast also-thats why they make them. Either way you will still make more yeast. And its better than not making a starter to begin with. Youll want to swish it around often if you can but at least shake the hell out of it good before starting,then agitating it sometimes.That is without using a stirplate, when you think about it also or just agitating it when you walk by it-that works too.

Kind of off topic in this thread and I apologize too. But there is a how to make a starter thread you can check out.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #24
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
I add a few pellots to the starter, I doubt your really only decanting only beer unless you crash it in the fridge. Make shure you sanitize the rim good also before adding it to the fermenter.I dump the whole thing,I want all the yeast. My starters have been too cloudy to tell what Im pourning off unless I cold crash it. Plus it smells good with hops .
Wouldn't cold crashing make the yeast go dormant?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #25
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Neither is better than the other. They both have their purposes. Form most general purpose beers a standard dry ale yeast if fine...like for 99% of the beers. Liquid yeasts have more strains. And most of them are for specific styles of beer. The reason those don't come dry is simply because those strains can't survive the drying process.

Get out of the habit of thinking that in brewing there is ever a "best" or a "Better" there are contests....there rarely if ever is a better in brewing, just different ways to achieve the same end. Those things people think are bests or betters are usually just PREFERENCES. You can ask 10 different brewers the same questions and get 12 different answers, and they will all be right.
Beautiful post! This pretty much says all you need to know.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #26
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I've been thinking that dry yeast gets you much closer to the recommended 200B pitching rate than with a simple liquid yeast for people not interested in starters.

Fermenting: Deception 'Eggnog' Stout
Aging: Brett'd Old Ale; Ancho Chile Berliner Weisse; Flander's Red; Oud Bruin; Pumpkin Lambic; Southern English Brown Ale; Rice Wine; Saffron Xmas Tripel
On Tap: Cherry Lacto Saison; Heathered Scottish Ale 85/-

Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #27
thewurzel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Cold crashing the starter makes the yeast settles to the bottom, so you can then decant the wort off the top of yeast, this is some peoples preferred method.
This method can be done a few days before brewing.

Then there is also the argument that you want to use the whole yeast starter while the yeast are still active.
This method requires starting the starter closer to the time of brewing

Old 02-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #28
jonmohno
Recipes 

Quote:
Wouldn't cold crashing make the yeast go dormant?
Yes but its for when its done and your ready to make your beer that then you can decant the beer off the yeast,it should clear with crashing so you then are pouring almost pure yeast with maybe a bit of beer. I wouldnt do it,I would just make up your starter 2 days before your ready to pitch uless you have a good 70+ deg for the starter-because it will ferment faster.People decant because they ferment the starter warmer which can cause those esters we generally dont want in a full ferment,but with a small amount I doubt(yet dont know from my personal experience) that it would be noticable in the finished beer. Plus some people seem to be anti-dme- its such a small amount though. So much so that they dont want any of it in their beer. I dont see the point of wasting it and I cant possibly imagine making an insane 1 gallon starter that people do for big beers and decanting that-what a waste of beer but I guess if it effects the rest of the beer dramatically then I see why,but still what a waste.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #29
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewurzel View Post
Cold crashing the starter makes the yeast settles to the bottom, so you can then decant the wort off the top of yeast, this is some peoples preferred method.
This method can be done a few days before brewing.

Then there is also the argument that you want to use the whole yeast starter while the yeast are still active.
This method requires starting the starter closer to the time of brewing
After cold crashing do you bring back to room temp before pitching?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #30
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes, I take it out of the fridge, pour off most the beer that the starter produced, I save only enough to swirl the yeast back into suspension for pitching, but I let it come to room temp prior to yet swirl, and pitching. IMO it's not really advisable to pour the whole starter in because the beer in your starter is aerated, and not of the best caliber. There is still yeast in the beer you created with the starter, but most has formed a yeast cake on the bottom of the flask, and is more than enough to get a 5 gal batch kickin. GL, and happy brewing, making yeast starter is easy and fun, just keep sanitary, it's like brewing a mini batch of beer.

" life is like a case of beer, you must enjoy it every day"

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

jonmohno Likes This 

Quick Reply