Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Liquid or Dry Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
LinDanKugel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Liquid or Dry Yeast?

I am just curious what you guys think is best and why? I've been using dry yeast since I started in December (4 batches total) but used a liquid yeast the other day. Only down side was that the liquid yeast kind of blew up in my hands when I opened it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 166

I prefer the liquid yeast when used with a starter. It does have tendance to blow up. You just need to crack the top slowly to let the CO2 out to prevent that.

Dry yeast is good too. I use it for specific recipes like blondes and ciders. I like Nottingham a lot.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Dry yeast is easy to store and works well in a lot of beers but quite a few will be better if the proper strain of yeast is used and the number of strains of dry yeast is more limited. You might make a hundred different beers with dry yeast and be happy with all of them but for a specific style of beer it would not have the right flavor profile.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 136

There are many good dry yeasts available, but they are somewhat limited to certain styles. There is a much bigger selection of liquid yeasts.

Some styles you are pretty much limited to liquid yeasts.

For certain styles I often uses dry, if a good choice is available.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Hogarthe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

I use dry yeast for most ales. there's enough ale strains to usually have one for the beer I'm making, but occasionally I want a specific yeast and have to use liquid. to make a real kolsch for example, you need kolsch yeast. there is no dry kolsch yeast, but both White Labs and Wyeast carry it.

for lagers, I like liquid. I have only tried s-23 for dry lager yeast, and didn't like it. the liquid strains have been better. There are a couple other dry lager yeasts, but they are almost as expensive as the liquid, and I know I like the liquid, so haven't bothered trying them.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I've been using dry yeast till I made a "real" starter with WLP029 German ale/kolsh yeast. That was Friday,& it's just this morning starting to settle out so I can decant most of the 800mL starter. I'm going to use it in my Hopped & Confused ale V2. A light colored pale ale that thinks it's a light lager. I'm not having high hopes for V1. It had yet to settle out crystal clear,but had a slighly sweet,white wine quality to it. But that was all NZ hops & Cooper's ale yeast.
I changed the hops & yeast in V2 to see if that improves the lot with the same grains & DME's. The yest alone should be a big improvement.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Hope your hand and vial was sanitized well. I did the same thing even opening it slowy,apparantly not slow enough. I had a few slowly infected batches from doing that, that were still good, I just put them in the fridge faster than all of my beer which I normally just leave in my basement and pull out random batches to drink and to check on any potential overcarbonation going on,to keep it safe.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Neither is better than the other. They both have their purposes. Form most general purpose beers a standard dry ale yeast if fine...like for 99% of the beers. Liquid yeasts have more strains. And most of them are for specific styles of beer. The reason those don't come dry is simply because those strains can't survive the drying process.

Get out of the habit of thinking that in brewing there is ever a "best" or a "Better" there are contests....there rarely if ever is a better in brewing, just different ways to achieve the same end. Those things people think are bests or betters are usually just PREFERENCES. You can ask 10 different brewers the same questions and get 12 different answers, and they will all be right.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #9
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Is a starter mandatory for liquid yeast? Is there a way to make a starter without a stir plate? I have been using dry yeast because I don't have the equipment to make a starter.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
Is a starter mandatory for liquid yeast? Is there a way to make a starter without a stir plate? I have been using dry yeast because I don't have the equipment to make a starter.
Both Wyeast and White Labs claim there are enough yeast cells in their product to ferment a 1.050 (I think) 5 gallon batch without making a starter. Others have questioned that and claim much more is needed.

A stir plate will give you the best results but putting the yeast into starter wort and shaking it every time you walk by will be OK.

Quick Reply