Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Liguid Mal Exract Late Addition...why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Liguid Mal Exract Late Addition...why?

This has cropped up from time to time and I wanted to know why. Some recipies say to add (for example) 3lbs of dry malt extract and bring to a boil, then as a late addition add 3.75 lbs of liquid malt extract.

Is there some reason that this must be done? I try not to use liquid malt extract (don't quite know why) can I just substatue with dry malt extract and still do the late edition or can I even just skip the late edition and add it right before I boil. Is the late edition to compinsate for lost enzymes or something?

(side question, what's a good "roiling boil" temp? 190 degrees?)

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In Cleveland a rolling boil is 212+, cranked to the gills and guns blazing. You want as hard a boil as you get to really agitate that wort, break down the proteins and assimilate those alpha acids.

Late addition on Dry or Liquid reduces the caramelization than can occur with extracts. This minimizes the off flavors associated with that.

Yes you can sub Dry for liquid but you want to compensate for the for the different water content by reducing the Dry by ~20%. The only reason not to do this is the expense.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Less carmelization of the wort and improved hop utilization. If you do a late extract addition, your hop utilization is about the same as if you did a full volume boil, so you save 20-30% on bittering hops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 12-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

It's mainly to lighten the color. I've also noticed that heavily caramelized extract changes the flavor of the beer a bit. Just remember to remove the pot from heat when adding LME to avoid scorching.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Less carmelization of the wort and improved hop utilization. If you do a late extract addition, your hop utilization is about the same as if you did a full volume boil, so you save 20-30% on bittering hops.

Wait, you're saying if I am only boiling 2-3 gallons but just add the LME late then I'll get a higher IBU out of the bittering hops? Is that for real? Does adding DME late make a difference in terms of IBUs?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
JamjaPA
Recipes 

im as new as it gets around here, so im not being a jerk, but if you search late extract addition, a ton of threads will pop up completely explaining everything about the procedure. and dme and lme are the same except 2.75lbs dme = 3.3lbs lme... people seem like like dme more because of less 'twang' and its doesnt have a tendency to carmalize as much....please correct me if i am wrong anybody

Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
mawa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Wait, you're saying if I am only boiling 2-3 gallons but just add the LME late then I'll get a higher IBU out of the bittering hops? Is that for real? Does adding DME late make a difference in terms of IBUs?
Yep, and I say this from experience. In two partial mashes I did a while ago, I tried the late extract addition method but did not change the hop schedule. The beers were more bitter that they should've been. In my las batch i did alter the hop schedule with the help of beersmith and the bitterness of that beer was just right!

If you haven't download beersmith, do it, it takes the late extract addition into account when formulating recipes.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post
Yes, Sacc speaks the truth. Hop utilization is a function of time, temperature and wort density. If you only do partial boils of 2-3 gallons and then top-up to your final volume in the fermenter, you will see a marked improvement in hop utilization by adding a portion of the extract at the beginning (to get your starting OG around 1.040) and adding the rest at flameout. You will more effectively isomerize alpha acids at this SG compared to the SG from adding all X lbs of malt extract at the very beginning of the boil.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fantastic. I had no idea. Thanks.

And yes Beersmith is on the list of things to get

Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eves View Post
I brewed an American pale ale recently with only 1 oz. of Cascades for bittering with 1 lb. of DME at the beginning of the boil and 6 lbs. of LME with 5 minuted remaining. The bitterness was surprising to say the least and quite a bit more aggressive than I expected with only 1 oz. low alpha hops for bittering.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Quick Reply