Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > light vs ultralight LME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Default light vs ultralight LME

What is the difference? I am buying ingredients online at morebeer.com and when I select the light malt it shows up in my cart as ultralight. Is there a difference? How much of a difference and how will the flavor be affected? I'm brewing an APA Sierra Nevada clone.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

Around here,I see extra light,light,amber,dark,& extra dark DME. LME's of various styles like vienna,munich,gold,etc. So ultra light to me would be likely used to brew pilsner. I use plain light DME in most batches. For a SN clone,I'd prefer the light,not the ultra/extra light. I'd call them on that one. It might be a glitch they're not aware of.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 714

At one of the shops I've been too, the "ultra-light" dme is labeled as "Pilsner" DME.

I've noticed a distinct flavor difference between it and the plain old "light" DME.

If you want a lighter color in your beer, I've heard/read it helps to put your dme addition(s) later in the boil. Also, hop utilization is better in a lower gravity boil, so you might want to consider it (late DME addition).

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 96 batches and counting (as of 8/31/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

Actually,it's the LME that's added later or at flame out to keep colors lighter,flavors cleaner. I use 3lb bags of plain DME in my ales,half in the partial boil of 3 gallons. I do my hop additions with that. The remaining DME at the end,all the LME at flame out.
Since pasteurization happens at 162F,it doesn't need to be boiled to sanitize it. Just mix it in well,cover & let steep for a few minutes & you're good.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
jdubb75
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
What is the difference? I am buying ingredients online at morebeer.com and when I select the light malt it shows up in my cart as ultralight. Is there a difference? How much of a difference and how will the flavor be affected? I'm brewing an APA Sierra Nevada clone.

Thanks!
I think morebeer sells Bries DME & LME. At any rate, you can look up all the specs on Briess's website. I'm pretty sure the "ultralight & extra light" is the same at pilsen extract and the "light" is gold extract.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm

I just went over to their site and see what you are talking about now. I think I would definitely contact them before ordering to make sure you arent getting pilsen extract, unless that is what you want.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Thank you all for your answers and feedback, much appreciated! I called them and I guess they use to carry ultralight instead of the pilsen and now they have pilsen and got rid of ultralight and so I guess some is still coming through as ultralight even though it is just light malt extract.

Thanks again!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
jdubb75
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
Thank you all for your answers and feedback, much appreciated! I called them and I guess they use to carry ultralight instead of the pilsen and now they have pilsen and got rid of ultralight and so I guess some is still coming through as ultralight even though it is just light malt extract.

Thanks again!
I was pretty sure that pilsen and ultra light or extra light are all one in the same. Generally, when I see just "light" extract it is the same as golden extract.

Quick Reply