Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Light Colored Beers With Liquid Extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Breck09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Light Colored Beers With Liquid Extract?

Is it possible to get a light colored beer with liquid extract? I just brewed the AHS American Wheat kit and it came with 7lbs of wheat liquid extract. This stuff was really dark and I find it hard to believe that it would be possible at all to get a typical wheat color using this extract even if I was able to do a full volume boil. Would it be better in the future to use dry extract when trying to go for lighter beers? Or should I in the future always use dry. I don't see myself being able to get into all grain for about another year so that answer is out of the question. Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
kuphish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You might be able to get a slightly lighter colored beer with dry extract, although I doubt it'll make much difference with the wheat extract.

What is the final batch volume? The appearance of extract in packaged form can be deceiving. If you are doing a 5 gallon batch, 7 lbs of wheat LME will yield you an SRM of around 7-8.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
aMillionDreams
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cream ale

On deck: Pliny the Elder, Heather Ale
Fermenting: Strawberry Melomel, Imperial Belgian White, Pumpkin Ale
Carboy #1: Cream Ale
Carboy #2: Hoptoberfest
Carboy #3: Raspberry Melomel
Tap #1: Two Hearted Clone
Tap #2: Spiced Bourbon Stout
Tap #3: Raison D'Etre Clone
Bottled: Belgian Trippel, NB Farmhouse Saison Ale, Apfelwein, Duvel Clone, Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, JABM (Blackberry)

Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Breck09
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuphish View Post
What is the final batch volume? The appearance of extract in packaged form can be deceiving. If you are doing a 5 gallon batch, 7 lbs of wheat LME will yield you an SRM of around 7-8.
My batch size was 5 gallons, but only boiled 2.5 gallons per the instructions. Plan on getting BeerSmith soon so that I can pump up my boil volume while keeping my hop utilization at full impact. Hopefully it will lighten up while it ferments and conditions. Only time will tell.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I haven't used wheat extract but I brew very light colored beers with LME. I use extra pale LME and add it just before flameout so it doesn't get a chance to caramelize at all.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
Breck09
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I haven't used wheat extract but I brew very light colored beers with LME. I use extra pale LME and add it just before flameout so it doesn't get a chance to caramelize at all.
Do you do full volume boils?

I am very interested in this late addition extract that I see talked about all the time. If I am doing 2.5 gallon boils do I just add all the extract in the last 15 minutes of the boil? Is it fine putting the hops in there with just the water plus what I got from the steeping grains.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1034 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 2110

No, put some of the extract in at the start of the boil, it helps with hops utilization (although I have no idea why). When I have done extracts, I used 1/3 dme at the beginning and 2/3 at the late addition. Take your pot off the heat to add the extract and stir like a mad man.

I did a very light blonde ale using this method - it is absolutely possible to get light extract beers.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Old 09-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Next time use our Extra Light extract. It has a lovibond of 2. (2-row is 1.8 Lovibond)
Wheat extract is always much darker, even if it is DME. (DME is made from liquid malt extract.)

Wheat beers flavor is based on the yeast (not the hops or extract).

Forrest

Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
Breck09
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
Next time use our Extra Light extract. It has a lovibond of 2. (2-row is 1.8 Lovibond)
Wheat extract is always much darker, even if it is DME. (DME is made from liquid malt extract.)

Wheat beers flavor is based on the yeast (not the hops or extract).

Forrest
Shouldn't the American Wheat kit that you guys sell then use extra light extract as opposed to the wheat extract?

Old 09-13-2010, 03:29 AM   #10
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck09 View Post
Shouldn't the American Wheat kit that you guys sell then use extra light extract as opposed to the wheat extract?
Unfortunately, people would think we were pulling a fast one if we didn't use wheat extract in a wheat beer. Even though the wheat extract is half wheat and half 2-row, the wheat in the extract does not really benefit the beer. If you are doing all grain, then wheat would make a difference.

Maybe make it half wheat extract and half extra light.

Forrest

Quick Reply