*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Light Ale Recipe Input

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default Light Ale Recipe Input

I'm wanting to try to brew up a light tasting ale that those who drink Bud Light and the like will enjoy. This is a 2 gal recipe:

1.25 lbs of light DME (flameout)
13 oz rice DME
0.25 lbs carapils
0.075 oz Centennial (10%) @ 60 mins
WLP 001

2* SRM
9.5 IBU's
4.8% ABV

How much rice DME can I use without getting it too out of whack?

I am using minimal ingredients that I'm sharing with a hoppy pale ale (2 gal), and so I've chosen those hops because the majority will be used for it.

I assume that the small amount of Centennial used only at 60 mins will not impart too much of the citrusy flavors.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd suggest dropping the rice down to 20-30% of your fermentables.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

I was afraid it was too much. Trying to make it all work w/o any leftovers.
I had noticed MoreBeer's version used 4 lbs of LME and 2 lbs of rice DME, which I figured was over 33%. I was hoping I would get close enough with 1.25 lbs DME and 1/4 lb of carapils to 3/4 lbs of rice DME.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
I was afraid it was too much. Trying to make it all work w/o any leftovers.
I had noticed MoreBeer's version used 4 lbs of LME and 2 lbs of rice DME, which I figured was over 33%. I was hoping I would get close enough with 1.25 lbs DME and 1/4 lb of carapils to 3/4 lbs of rice DME.
I think you'd be okay as is, i just think I would prefer it top have 20% rice. 40% would be the highest I would go with rice, so you're still under that.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
rodwha
Recipes 

Well, it's only 18 beers, and I'll doubtfully drink more than one!

Only one way to know...

Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If it were me, I'd probably add a little bit of citrusy flavor or aroma hops, a small amount somewhere between 5-30 minutes. I've found that a lof of people I know who are BMC-type drinkers actually like the taste of american citrus hops when used moderately and when the beer isn't bitter. You may also want to consider a little bit of honey to compliment the beer. Just my two pennies.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
rodwha
Recipes 

I've given these people (3 of them) my blonde, which was ~15 IBU's with a bittering, flavoring, and aromatic addition and it took them all quite a while to drink their 6 oz serving (had several for them to try, of which they all had only 2).
The hops was likely Liberty though.
So I figured I'd try something else.
The guys who have tried that same beer asked if they could buy some or if I'd brew them some. The one who propositioned me didn't care much when I said I'd help him do it, and gave him the list of expenses.

Quick Reply