Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Life of sanitizer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #71
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 49

"Anyway,it's starsan's PH level that does the job,not how clear it is."

That's what I thought when I first began using it, and for a long time afterwards. Recently (a month???) I saw the debate. It made me have to wonder as (IIRC) it was stated the company claimed that minerals depleted it's a ability to sanitize.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #72
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Make your life easy...
Step 1: Buy a cheap 5 gallon bucket and lid from ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, True Value, Crafty Beaver, etc... Costs about $5
Step 2: Buy 5 gallons of distilled water at Jewel, Dominick's, Kroger, Meijer, Walmart, etc... Costs about $2 a gallon
Step 3: Buy StarSan at LHBS
Step 4: Mix up a batch for every 5 gallon kegging/bottling day.
Step 5: Repeat and discard every time you keg/bottle.

It'll keep indefinitely in the lidded bucket, but just change it every time you bottle or keg and you'll always have a guaranteed good-to-go batch at the ready for any new brew sessions, racking, testing/sampling, or when you decide to cheat on sweet, sweet barley and make a mead or cider. I get about 5-6 uses between kegging sessions. I don't even mix up my batch in the bucket anymore. When I keg, I discard the old bucket, mix up 5 gallons in the keg, run it through my beer lines and refill the empty starsan bucket. Easy Peasy. Sure, it's colder than a new batch made with tap water after sitting around and settling at room temp, but it never goes bad and is always ready to go.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #73
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I think that debate may have been in this thread...

Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #74
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
Step 4: Mix up a batch for every 5 gallon kegging/bottling day.
Step 5: Repeat and discard every time you bottle/keg.
That's massive overkill in my book! I have taken to making a fresh batch every brew (or every other brew if I'm in rapid-fire mode), but a single gallon is more than enough, including a few extra weeks worth of random spritzing fodder.

Re: the cloudiness claims, I am planning at some unspecified point in the distant future to do some tests of my own to see if I can resolve this and hopefully post some results that are convincing enough that we can put this to rest. (If anyone is interested in doing this and wants to talk, PM me!)

For now, though, it seems to be certain that using distilled water will result in effective sanitizer, so I've stopped my ridiculously hard using tap water for now. I just take a bottle of distilled water and add about 1/3 oz of Sani-Clean (eventually to switch to Star-San when this bottle runs out).
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #75
fc36
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
I think that debate may have been in this thread...
I've been on this particular thread since it began, but it seems to have taken a turn for the and so I figured I'd help out those not wanting to sift through it all to get a good idea of the gist.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #76
fc36
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
That's massive overkill in my book! I have taken to making a fresh batch every brew (or every other brew if I'm in rapid-fire mode), but a single gallon is more than enough, including a few extra weeks worth of random spritzing fodder.

Re: the cloudiness claims, I am planning at some unspecified point in the distant future to do some tests of my own to see if I can resolve this and hopefully post some results that are convincing enough that we can put this to rest. (If anyone is interested in doing this and wants to talk, PM me!)

For now, though, it seems to be certain that using distilled water will result in effective sanitizer, so I've stopped my ridiculously hard using tap water for now. I just take a bottle of distilled water and add about 1/3 oz of Sani-Clean (eventually to switch to Star-San when this bottle runs out).
Now that I think about it, I probably go about 2-3 brew sessions between changes as of late. Maybe I shouldn't drink so much when kegging.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #77
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I mix a 5 gallon batch and discard every 6 months or so. I use tap water and it will be slightly cloudy right away...but after a few uses it gets more cloudy.

Guess we could get some ph strips and test...

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #78
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 100

So this should make a great deal of sense. Your DI or RO water is going to run a pH of around 6-6.5. It will be less cloudy and last long because ions and minerals have been stripped from the water. The things interacting with the starsan to cause it to be cloudy in the tap water,that and DOCs and TSSs. Unfiltered tap water will have all those things in it and give it some buffering capacity. This will vary greatly depending on where you are and the water thats coming from your tap.

So to say "mine lasts me this lone using tap water" may be true but doesn't mean my source water will last as long. If there is a greater buffering capacity in my source water it may only take a couple brew days for the pH to rise since it is picking up some things while being used.

I do have access to a huge water system but it's just easier spending the .52 and using tap. I used DI from the store for my spray bottle and keep the extra in the jug in my keezer. I have had one gallon jug last 8 month with no issues. I checked the pH on the last bit and it was fine.

As long as what you are doing works for you who cares.

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Quick Reply