Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Life of sanitizer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #61
broncobob71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Now that Hunting, Thanksgiving, Shopping, Christmas, New Years is done with and the fish have stopped biting, I was able to get a batch of beer made this weekend.

When I mixed up a batch of Star San using city water, like normal, it turned cloudy immediately.
When I mixed up a batch using DI water it was so clear you could see the oily swirls in the water as the acid diluted. A couple of days later it is still clear. Not a hint of cloudiness.
I have not checked for PH loss as I was just comparing city water to DI and solution clarity.

Most people do not have access to DI water, but you should be able to get similar results from distilled water. I'm not suggesting that you mix up all of your sanitizer with distilled water, but if want some for spray bottle use. A 99 cent jug of distilled water with a splash of star san in it will go a long way in a spray bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #62
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'm still curious about the use of Star San in hard water.
It's what I've been using. I make 3.8 gallons and use it for a month or so.
I haven't had a problem, but that doesn't mean I can't...

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #63
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trokair

That is the truth. Mine comes out cloudy from the word go but I haven't had a problem with it yet. Personally I toss mine at the end of every function that requires sanitation so I don't know how long it keeps for me. 1 oz. (5 gallon dose) is $0.52. I'd rather use fresh Star San and be sure then possibly ruin $30 or more in beer because I didn't want to spend $0.52
^^^^ this exactly^^^^
Spend too much on equipment/propane/ingredients to not mix fresh every time!!!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #64
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1948 Times on 1707 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

That's fine if it makes you feel better. But isn't technically necessary. As long as the PH is 3 or less,it's good.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #65
rodwha
Recipes 

So where can I find the truth about hard water nullifying it's abilities to sanitize?

I saw the video of the guy testing different samples with pH strips, but hear that's not a good source.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #66
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I think it's a great video. The truth stands for itself. He showed the test strips,which were the same. 3 or less is good PH-wise. That's from fivestar chemical,who makes starsan.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #67
rodwha
Recipes 

Where are people coming up with the idea that the hard water is nullifying it's ability?

I've seen how people can easily misread/comprehend what they've read and run off all over the web spreading their idea with black powder substitute powder...

Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #68
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Hey,pyrodex works pretty good. Still attracts moisture about as well though. But the net can put forth a lot of falsehoods & half truths as well. I told it like it is. Now back to my regularly scheduled beer...

Old 01-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #69
rodwha
Recipes 

I like the results I'm getting with 3F Triple 7 from my Old Army. It's besting the 45 Colt loads with over 500 ft/lbs with a 240 grn custom conical. I love the thunder it creates! Certainly brings people by to ask what I have...
Doesn't smell as good as Pyrodex though.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #70
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

With 100 grains of 3fg pyrodex & a saboted 200g hornady jacketed hollow point,my 50cal TC hawken equals a 30-06 in muzzle velocity. Sound is def different. Sounds more like a recoiless cannon or something. Anyway,it's starsan's PH level that does the job,not how clear it is.

Quick Reply