Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Life of sanitizer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
mtrogers14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Life of sanitizer

Does anyone know A- how long sanitizer lasts and B- what's the best way to store it ? Also how do I know if its too old and won't do the job ? I don't want to have to mix up a new batch every time I want to brew or test or bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Is it Starsan or iphodor? If its iphodor it's one time use if its Starsan it is good until the Ph level drops to a certain level, I don't remember it at the moment. I switched to Starsan and I keep it in a 5 gallon bucket and switch it every few months. There is a YouTube video that Immolatious did over a several month period showing how long it can keep. Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/_niSffyAXO0.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

meh i bought a 32 oz (at least i think its 32 oz) over a year ago, and it isn't even half done. i don't brew that often, but frequently will mix up 2.5 gallons (.5 oz star san), or even less.

point being it lasts a loooong time, and isn't that expensive.

i have heard that people will store it in sealed buckets, and something about it going clear means its not good enough anymore?? pH checking i think is the better way to check if it is still good.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

A: as long as it is < 3.0 ph, made with tap water it tends to get cloudy as it looses it's effectiveness.
B: I use a 5 gallon plastic water jug. If you use distilled water it lasts almost indefinitely.
C: I also would recommend a cheep spray bottle, it is handy to have around full of Starsan.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2108 Times on 1846 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

Craigtube did a video on starsan. He had some in a jug that'd gone cloudy,mixed up a new one with same water,same amount of water/starsan. Both tested below 3.0ph. So cloudy doesn't equal ineffective. I even use a funnel & coffee filter to filter mine out every so often. Less cloudy & lasts a long time. I have an 8oz bottle I bought early last year that has maybe .5" gone out of it.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I'm curious how long it can be used.
I typically make up ~4 gallons of it, and because I typically brew ~3 beers a month I have been keeping it in a covered bucket and using it for maybe a month w/o any problems, but I have no idea how long it would last when sanitizing clean stuff.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
Icenine61
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There are a few podcasts that feature Charlie Talley of 5star chemicals (makers of Star-San). He says 3.5 or below for PH and not cloudy.

Apparently, Star-san reacts with minerals in tap water and when it turns cloudy it is no longer effective.

Link below references the podcasts.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/char...ewcasts-58928/

Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
Breck09
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The cloudy myth has been debunked a number of times. Mine turns cloudy the second I make it. As long as you are below the recommended pH you are fine.

People Like This 
Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

With regard to iodophor, it does lose effectiveness over time but according to my reading if it still has a brownish color in the proper dilution, it is good. When it loses the color it has lost it's sanitizing power. On a related note, it is important to use the proper dilution, which is about 1cc of iodophor in 1 liter of water.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck09 View Post
The cloudy myth has been debunked a number of times. Mine turns cloudy the second I make it. As long as you are below the recommended pH you are fine.
That is the truth. Mine comes out cloudy from the word go but I haven't had a problem with it yet. Personally I toss mine at the end of every function that requires sanitation so I don't know how long it keeps for me. 1 oz. (5 gallon dose) is $0.52. I'd rather use fresh Star San and be sure then possibly ruin $30 or more in beer because I didn't want to spend $0.52

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Quick Reply