New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > LHBS St. Louis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
henrybeggs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default LHBS St. Louis?

I have been struggling to find any great Home Brew stores in St. Louis, I know that in a city like St. Louis there has to be at least one. I've been buying all my equipment and ingredients at a store called Worm's Way which is a gardening store with a small home brew section attached. It is good, but not great, there aren't a ton of options and literally no hops for sale. Doesn't anyone have a better place?
Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Airplanedoc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 73

There is/was a place over in bellville. Not sure what all I have, its been a while since I was there. Also check Friar Tuck, they have some stores down that way now, The ones up here all have a pretty good selection

Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
xMalachi
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 802 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I bought my stuff from Dave's Homebrew Supply in Belleville, IL. They had a variety of Brewer's Best Kits as well as other ingredients and supplies. I plan to try some other kits online. I know you specifically asked about buying hops and I am not sure if they had any there. I can PM you their phone number if you would like to contact them. I will be brewing on Sunday so I'll let you know how my kit turned out in about 1 month!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
hwilshusen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybeggs View Post
I have been struggling to find any great Home Brew stores in St. Louis, I know that in a city like St. Louis there has to be at least one. I've been buying all my equipment and ingredients at a store called Worm's Way which is a gardening store with a small home brew section attached. It is good, but not great, there aren't a ton of options and literally no hops for sale. Doesn't anyone have a better place?
Thanks.
http://wineandbeermaking.com/index.html

Old 06-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
thewurzel

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/directories/find-a-supply-shop

Shows this one St Louis Wine and beer making

http://www.wineandbeermaking.com/

Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Airplanedoc

Recipes 

Friar Tuck has stores in Fenton, Crestwood, and Ofallon MO. Might want to give them a call and verify that they sell HB Supplies, but the ones up in central Il do

http://www.friartuckonline.com/storelocator.aspx

Old 06-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
mmarty1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

St. Louis Wine and Beer Making is my place of choice, it's out in Town and Country near 40 and 141 (woodsmill rd.). They have plenty of fresh ingredients, including hops and tons of kits to pick from too. I did go to Friar Tuck to pick up some specialty brews and noticed they some ingredients, probably similar to worms way but they had a pretty decent price on new bottles at $11 a case where they were $18 at St Louis Wine and Beer Making. I'm heading that way this weekend to pickup another primary and my oatmeal stout ingredients.

Secondary: American Brown Ale
Next Up: Summer Ale and Oatmeal Stout
Brewed This Year: 30 Gallons
--------------------------------
Wine Section:
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Coastal White and Coatal White Oaked
Next Up: One more Kit then wine from Chambourcin grapes this fall
Wine Made This Year: 5 Gallons

Old 06-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wine and beer making has definitely the best selection and most convenient. But lately I've been ordering from Mo Malt which is like a co-op for homebrewers. It's run by a guy named Kent, he's a great guy and dedicated to getting homebrewers in St. Louis the best possible pricing. All you have to do is got to his webpage, e-mail him, and he'll get you on the mail list. The only downside is you have to plan accordingly since you have to e-mail him to order, and then pick-up later depending on whether or not he has it in stock or not. (You can't count on Mo Malt in a pinch)
Friar tuck is ok but their ingredients can be quite stale. I use them as last resort, mostly for when I need an air lock or something arbitrary, etc.
Cheers!

Old 06-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
Airplanedoc

Recipes 

The Friar tuck up here will order most anything for you as well, and there is little or no upcharge for shipping. Most anything I have purchased thru them is at or very near the same price as Midewst.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
BeerBDrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

StL Wine & Beer is the place really. They specialize in homebrewing supplies and equipment, rather than Worm's Way, whose specialty is gardening supplies and equipment and trying to figure out if everyone interested in hydroponics is legit. WW is closer to my place, so I will run up there for yeast if I'm desperate and have little time, but it has outlived its usefulness for me. Just the other day I went there hoping to find a saison yeast (knowing they probably would not have one) but looking for wyeast 3068 (bavarian hefe strain) for my second choice, and a third choice I can't remember, but down the scale of scarcity. Well, I struck out and settled for a kolsch strain packaged in April. Not terrible, but not as fresh as you will find at a homebrew shop. Hilariously, the guy working at WW asked me if I was looking for anything, so I said, "Do you carry any saison yeast?" to which he replied, "Oh no, we don't carry anything like that!". Silly me. Anyway, just save yourself the trouble and go to StL W&B.

Quick Reply