New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > LHBS prices vs buying online

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #81
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLiguori View Post
Besides, when the anarchists take over the world and knock out the satelites, you're gonna have to take your horse and buggy to the LHBS anway, so you might as well get on good terms with them now. You know, since you'll be bartering for the supplies in the future.
Hope ur kidding right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #82
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 644 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
One thing this thread has shown me is how lucky I am.
The brew store I go to might not be close, but when I'm in town their grain prices are pretty darn good.
Better than the posted online prices since they are 89 cents a pound for base malts and $1.25 for anything else.

They aren't even that busy in there. I'm not sure how they do it unless it's because everyone is like me.
I stop in for say... $30 worth of stuff.
I walk out with $100 worth of stuff that I decided I needed when I was waiting for them to put my order together.
I walk in needing enough stuff for 3 batches or well under 50 bucks. Leon hands me a glass and tells me keep her full while I get this stuff together. Next thing I know I am half drunk and buying way more stuff than I need or even want.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #83
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 83

To note, at my LHBS:
- Base Malts: 1.49 for things like Munich, Pilsner, Wheat
- Crystal: Mostly 1.89 to maybe 2.09
- High Kiln: Around 2.00
- Roasted: 1.89 to 2.00

Fermenting: Raccoon Cancun ESB
Aging: Winter Siege ESB (Oak+Brett C)
On Tap: Akron Fog (steam beer), Deception Coffee Stout

[NaCl]

Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #84
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
I walk in needing enough stuff for 3 batches or well under 50 bucks. Leon hands me a glass and tells me keep her full while I get this stuff together. Next thing I know I am half drunk and buying way more stuff than I need or even want.
Haha sounds like a nice guy. Wish my experience was similar.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #85
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
You missed the entire point.
If you displace local jobs, then not only is the tax from that company gone but the jobs are also.
You have people without the income to spend and your job is soon to follow.

It's the same thing as when people want to save a buck and buy a product made in China instead of American made.
If you cause your neighbors to be unemployed to save a couple bucks, then you will certainly follow when the people around you can't afford to spend money on whatever pays your check.

If you understand economics, by spending a dollar local you are actually getting a return that doesn't exist when you send your money away.

As for incentive for online retailers to move here or any other particular area, there isn't infrastructure for online companies to ship and I do not care to live near freeways, rail ways or major airports.
I know this was aimed at someone else but I wanted to comment on it.

The way I see it, my state has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country (4.5%ish?). Why not buy from a supplier in the Midwest where the unemployment rate is 9%? It's still buying American. I support local business in my home state with my fuel, food, and entertainment costs and Lord knows the local government gets plenty of my money in taxes!

Next up: The Hops of Wrath (DIPA)
Primary: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Spring Amber Ale)
Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #86
DonLiguori
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy View Post
Hope ur kidding right?
Sarcasm FTW. Unless it happens. Then, I guess it's a good thing to be prepared.

Being prepared FTW.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #87
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
I know this was aimed at someone else but I wanted to comment on it.

The way I see it, my state has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country (4.5%ish?). Why not buy from a supplier in the Midwest where the unemployment rate is 9%? It's still buying American. I support local business in my home state with my fuel, food, and entertainment costs and Lord knows the local government gets plenty of my money in taxes!
The comment was back at another guy, but I think every comment is open to rebuttal by anyone. It's a pretty open discussion.
Well you can certainly do what you want, but in the big picture, like was stated way back, the threat of the ecommerce replacing the local stores is the big picture.
Any one industry isn't really going to be the trigger that causes the problem.
If no one bought from the local brew store and they went under, that would have very little effect on the economy.

The big picture though is based on the pattern of all the little decisions that are made.
It's completely based on one small purchase at a time and that purchase isn't a problem.
The combination of all those meaningless purchases is the problem, sort of like death by a million paper cuts.

You have to decide as an individual if you are going to contribute to the shift to online or to supporting the local stores.

There are times when I don't shop local and go to stores out of town for example simply because the local store isn't a good store. Price, service and other factors can make me not go to a store.
Price by it's self though doesn't mean that they have to be the cheapest option, only that I think they are being fair.
There is more overhead cost per item in a local store and the buying power sometimes means that they don't get the item for what an online retailer does.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #88
vic_and_krystal
Recipes 

My LHBS is 2 hours away so after figuring gas in with everything it is so not worth making that drive.. Only thing about online is the shipping...Morebeer took 9 days to send my last batch... What is the best online store? I also used brewers best with my first kit, it only took a few days to get here and they had the best customer service. Can't say that with morebeer...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #89
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

As the owner of the LHBS I must say Im a bit hurt. I shop the on-line stores and try to compete but I also have to be realistic. I pay X amount for a product from my supplier, X amount for shipping to my store, Rent, Utilities, labor, etc.... I think my prices are fair but I can not charge what the on-line stores do. If my business were to increase and I had a cash flow that was consistent I could drop prices to be more competitive. As it is with being a new business and the rates I have to pay to get items here and on the shelf you can buy them for less on-line. Factor in shipping and waiting for delivery and Im clearly the better option plus I'm right here for you Monday thru Saturday!

Brew What You Drink!
Stocktonbrew Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #90
Stocktonbrew

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Support local home brew shops. It was a bummer to see our LHBS close years ago. Now I drive an hour to get supplies. I know i pay more, but its worth it to support the community. Its also frustrating that most of my brew equipment says MADE IN CHINA on it.

Quick Reply