Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > LHBS prices vs buying online

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #61
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
Not necessarily true, there is another brew shop no more than 10 minutes away i wont mention(locals likely know) that charges from what i have seen to be 20-40% more on grain and upwards of 100% more for things like hops and other brewing things like Starsan than Brew Brothers...and from what ive heard thats the reason they(Brew Brothers) opened their shop in the first place because they realized what a markup the only brew shop at the time in the area was taking.

But i do agree its probably a volume thing, but not all the local shops are as...fair with their pricing.
Well true.
The stores are run by people. Some people do good business by being fair, some are not people you want to deal with.

As for the question that someone else posted about local prices, I just check.

When I was at the brew store I took pictures of the grain inventory with the vain hope that I would be able to read all the labels on the bins, input the grains into Beersmith as my inventory with like 1 oz of inventory just so that I would know what was available.
I got a picture of their prices.

Base malts 89 cents a pound.
All others $1.25 per pond

Not bad, especially since they aren't exactly busy when I go in there.
I would assume that I could cut that down a bit if I ordered some bulk.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #62
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would have to buy a LOT of brew supplies to make online shopping worthwile for 99% of stuff. certain things like sugar and giant bulk hop orders are cheaper online ($2 an oz for all their hops or $24 a lb for hops) but most everything else is just as cheap as Northern brewer and other such online stores

Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #63
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Looking at brewbrothers prices, they may have some new business, next time i order.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #64
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 557 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
What scares me is that you might be right about this.

When it happens, the economy will begin to crumble.
Retail is a huge part of the economy and when you get rid of the jobs associated with it, the tax the stores pay ( beyond sales tax ), the tax the jobs create, the development and realestate sales loss, the garbage collection, the electrical use and on and on, you lost a ton of money in the community.
When those jobs and fees are eliminated, there are less people with money in their pocket so everything else, right down to McDonalds has lost customers and so some of those begin to go away.
A chain reaction is started and there are few jobs left.

Even someone like me pays.
I'm a surveyor so you can't outsource my job, can't mail order it either.
If people in my community aren't working, they aren't calling me.
Completely disagree with this.

Moving your shopping online doesn't kill jobs any more than cell phones killed telecommunication, and it's a pretty good analogy. Landlines (B&M stores) are becoming rare and often redundant, cell phone sales (online stores) have boomed, and we spend a lot more time on them (more money with them).

The stocker job becomes a warehouse inventory job. The cashier job becomes a packer/shipper job with the machine doing the invoice for them. The display job becomes the website item listing job. Customer service is still customer service, just through a different medium. Etc etc.

It doesn't kill jobs. It just shifts them. If you end up spending more money than before because it's easier to shop in your pajamas from your iPad, then that generates jobs.

Don't forget that you're creating additional jobs at the shipping company as demand rises. We're getting to the point where Amazon is tooling up distribution centers for same-day delivery in some areas.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #65
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
Looking at brewbrothers prices, they may have some new business, next time i order.
Good i hope they get some new business, they are an awesome shop. Always giving away free samples of their brew from their 2 tap tower kegerator in the corner.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #66
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 557 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
My LHBS is $1.40/lb for 2-row and Northwest Pale, $1.90/lb for specialty.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #67
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Well true.
The stores are run by people. Some people do good business by being fair, some are not people you want to deal with.

As for the question that someone else posted about local prices, I just check.

When I was at the brew store I took pictures of the grain inventory with the vain hope that I would be able to read all the labels on the bins, input the grains into Beersmith as my inventory with like 1 oz of inventory just so that I would know what was available.
I got a picture of their prices.

Not bad, especially since they aren't exactly busy when I go in there.
I would assume that I could cut that down a bit if I ordered some bulk.
Great price on base malts compared to my LHBS. They are asking $1.35 lb for american 2 row. I purchased a 50 # bag for $52, or $1.04 per pound. No where close to your price.

Most other grains are $1.95 compared to your $1.25.

I now understand why we stand so far apart on this issue.

To sum it up, I got screwed

Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #68
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Completely disagree with this.

Moving your shopping online doesn't kill jobs any more than cell phones killed telecommunication, and it's a pretty good analogy. Landlines (B&M stores) are becoming rare and often redundant, cell phone sales (online stores) have boomed, and we spend a lot more time on them (more money with them).

The stocker job becomes a warehouse inventory job. The cashier job becomes a packer/shipper job with the machine doing the invoice for them. The display job becomes the website item listing job. Customer service is still customer service, just through a different medium. Etc etc.

It doesn't kill jobs. It just shifts them. If you end up spending more money than before because it's easier to shop in your pajamas from your iPad, then that generates jobs.

Don't forget that you're creating additional jobs at the shipping company as demand rises. We're getting to the point where Amazon is tooling up distribution centers for same-day delivery in some areas.
I wont go off topic too much except i think your right and what scares a lot of people more than anything is the new jobs that its shifting to require much more tech savvy requiring skills they might not possess. A stocker job going to warehouse inventory means they have to know how to use things like excel and databases just for an entry level job...which to me is fine, its the advancement of our civilization...no different than the big shift that came with the industrial revolution... i think a lot of people just expected to ride out their entire lives pushing a button on a metal press making car parts and didnt plan on what happens when they make a robot that can push the button too.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #69
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

My LHBS is roughly DOUBLE the cost than I pay for my specialty grains from Farmhousebrewingsupply and I don't have to drive 45 min each way to get them. As much as I'd love to support local businesses it just doesn't make sense in my case.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #70
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
My LHBS is $1.40/lb for 2-row and Northwest Pale, $1.90/lb for specialty.
mines $1.19 for 2-row and most other grains are $1.69-$1.79.... I would kill for $0.89 a lb for base grains.... might need to do a group buy for bulk grains in tucson

Quick Reply