The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > LHBS prices vs buying online

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #121
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbacon View Post
My word your LHBS is outrageously priced. No website on the planet even comes close to my LHBS prices, and if they do shipping just kills it. I didn't know I was so lucky....
Yeah, I guess I learned an important lesson from all of this.

Just because a store is popular does not necessarily mean that they have the most reasonable prices and best customer service in town.

As I said, there is a new dog in town that I plan to check out tomorrow. Their prices seem more in line with what I am seeing on this forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #122
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
FWIW, the packets of yeast I've bought locally have been 2-3 months old. The packets I bought online were weeks to 1 month old.
Yea you gotta be careful about that if there isnt huge turnover

Not to praise on Brew Brothers more, but after expiration it goes from $6 vial to $3...then after 2 months its $2, and 3+ its only $1 vial

Makes for some good savings if you have a stir plate. I just bought 2 $1 vials to start a Lager because no ones making those right now so there were a few left in the expired bin in the fridge lol. More popular strains like WLP001 are never more than a few weeks old they move so fast.

Even accounting for low viability and DME cost i end up saving a few bucks.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #123
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

As FuzzeWuzze has shown, grains are much cheaper in the Portland area than buying online. I buy from several different LHBSs depending on what I am buying, although Brew Brothers seems to meet or beat just about everyone on most things, except full pounds of hops. I live on the opposite side of Portland from Hillsboro, but Brew Brothers does local drop-offs at several locations around Portland a couple of days a week. I just bought about $21 worth of ingredients online a week ago for pickup on this side of town for $5. The driver spaced the stop and Brew Brothers refunded the $5 and delivered the ingredients right to my door. For those looking for less than full pounds, they will sell as little as .1 pounds. Great service and great prices.

There is another shop in the Willamette Valley where you can buy a a 50 pound sack of 2-row, 2 pounds of hops (limited selection, but they have Cascades, Centennials, Liberty, Magnum, Kent Goldings, Mt. Hood, Nugget) and choice of yeast for $60. I also buy from the closest shop to my house. His prices aren't the best, but still better than online for ingredients. Plus, he has a great selection of bottled beer and a 10-tap keezer.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #124
joshmobley
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy View Post
Yeah, I guess I learned an important lesson from all of this.

Just because a store is popular does not necessarily mean that they have the most reasonable prices and best customer service in town.

As I said, there is a new dog in town that I plan to check out tomorrow. Their prices seem more in line with what I am seeing on this forum.
I wonder if the "New Dog" you're talking about is ABS? I have been there a couple of times this week. Prices seem fair and the staff has been very friendly. You should give 'em a shot!

on UnTappd

Primary
  • Cinnamon Porter
  • Pale Ale

Secondary
  • Pumpkin Wheat

Bottled
  • Midnight Raid Black IPA
  • Uprising IPA
  • Raucous Brown Ale
  • Marauder Milk Stout

On the Schedule
  • Belgian Ale
  • Spiced Hefeweizen

Old 02-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #125
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmobley View Post
I wonder if the "New Dog" you're talking about is ABS? I have been there a couple of times this week. Prices seem fair and the staff has been very friendly. You should give 'em a shot!
That would be correct. Visited a couple weeks ago and they have won my local business. Closer to home, larger than the others and their prices are very reasonable.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #126
IanJ
youtube.com/breweryshow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Here's my breakdown of Morebeer vs LHBS for the popular Common Room ESB recipe, slightly modified for what they have in stock.

Now, if I turned this into two batches and got free shipping from Morebeer, it would be a substantial price difference, approximately $17 less from the ~$60. I'm sort of at an impasse myself in terms of where I should shop.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #127
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskate
I'm sort of at an impasse myself in terms of where I should shop.
If I were in your shoes, I'd have to decide if the convenience of being able to have my stuff an hour from now is worth the extra $3.50/batch. Tough call but I would probably lean local in that situation.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #128
Arrheinous
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
If I were in your shoes, I'd have to decide if the convenience of being able to have my stuff an hour from now is worth the extra $3.50/batch. Tough call but I would probably lean local in that situation.
Going local would help you still have a choice between the two in the future.

Fermenting: No Boil Saison
Aging: Winter Siege ESB (Oak/Brett C), Fire Badger (Ancho Chile Berliner Weisse on Brett C/B/L), Bear Force One (Wee Rye Stout)
On Tap: Lawn Gnomad Saison

Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #129
IanJ
youtube.com/breweryshow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 70

This is probably the cheapest batch example too, but local may be the better option for a rushed brew day.

I'm going to have to start growing yeast cultures and storing in mason jars. For example a Wyeast smack pack is $9, dry yeast is much cheaper, but not always the right choice.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #130
theck
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I still have to price it all out right but my LHBS seems to be almost exactly the same as most of the online ones. My next is a Hefeweizen (ya I know it's fall but the wife loves it) and I decided to see if any online places where cheaper but they seem to be really about the same, maybe $1-2 cheaper. The shop is only 10 mins away so it's not much in gas... I guess for the "buy local" satisfaction and not having to wait for a package it's worth it. Is there any place I have yet to try that is dirt cheap? My estimated total cost at the LHBS is close to $30 for:
8 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) [124.21 ml]

Funny I was looking for a cheap recipe to make this next round, found some which people where claiming where <$20 but I didn't realize it was from 2010 or something... ha. I haven't brewed before this past couple months in maybe 10 years but I remember it being a lot cheaper back when, of course that was before kids too.

I've thought about getting 50lb bags but by the time I get a mill and everything else to store it... I might as well just get it from the shop.

Quick Reply