Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > LHBS prices vs buying online

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #111
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
From the bottom the sea, I'd imagine.

Google Maps on the left, Apple Maps on the right.

Dont know what they were thinking they could break into the maps market in 1 year when Google and Microsoft have had it on lockdown for like 8+ years now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #112
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 562 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 155

No idea. They made all iOS 6+ users use Apple Maps. Google Maps isn't even a choice anymore.

I refused to update my iPhone 3GS which was eligible for iOS6. A month later, I bought a Samsung Galaxy S III. No more Apple products for me.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #113
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-SSV View Post
In my area I have 3-4 LHBS's. One of them is pretty reasonable and I will do the bulk of my buying from them. I stopped in a different LHBS yesterday and was shocked to see them charging $180 for the same grain mill I can get online for $120. ...
Funny thing about mills, all of the US manufacturers sell directly to the public and none of them want to give enough of a wholesale discount for a (small) LHBS to sell at the same price and cover a share of overhead. You either have what appears to be a competitive price and make no money on it, or you price it with some markup knowing you will only sell to the "want it right now" guy. My LHBS stocks no roller mills, we just refer folks to barly crusher/monster/crankandstein/schmidling.

Same disclosure as before, I work at my LHBS part time.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #114
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Okay, did the google business thing and added my business to yelp. Need to get a web site person to help with that. Thanks for the input folks. I will take all the help I can get to our name out there.

Brew What You Drink!
SpentGrains Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #115
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingBrewer View Post
Okay, did the google business thing and added my business to yelp. Need to get a web site person to help with that. Thanks for the input folks. I will take all the help I can get to our name out there.
Nice. The area of Wyoming that you are in seems to be a small community. A simple website should do the trick - just enough info to get your name to pop up when someone googles "Homebrew stores Worland, Wyoming".

Don't waste your money building a huge website to rank for that keyword. With very little competition, you should be able to get to the top even with a basic temple website.

Good luck with your business!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #116
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy View Post
Last night, I went out and purchased brewing ingredients for my next three batches.

Being the tightwad that I am, I decided to compare the prices that I just paid locally to two popular websites - Northern Brewer and Morebeer.

While comparing, I took into account local taxes for the LHBS and shipping charges for online orders. Here are the results for my shopping list. (the prices reflect different quantities. For instance, I may have purchased a couple ounces of one hops and only one ounce of another)

Conclusion, The LHBS is 12% more expensive than NB and NB is 26% more than Morebeer.

In other words, More beer is 42% cheaper than my LHBS, considering all factors. (In addition, I don't hafta drive 15 miles to take it in the A)

On a side note, it was much cheaper to buy my bulk american 2 row locally, only because the shipping costs of 50#

Anyone else do a similar comparison with other eCommerce sites? Any better ones out there?

I understand that the 42% difference between the LHBS and Moore beer is due mostly to additional overhead costs but as a craft beer consumer on a malt liquor budget, buying online only makes sense to me.
My word your LHBS is outrageously priced. No website on the planet even comes close to my LHBS prices, and if they do shipping just kills it. I didn't know I was so lucky....

Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #117
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingBrewer View Post
Helpful tip, go post on some community college or high school jobs board.

You will find some kid who can whip you up a page and will work for cheap.
If your really tech unsavvy, it might not be worth the hassle instead just pay some kid 50 bucks to build you a basic site, take pictures of products/storefronts/owners, and fill out all of the information. It sounds easy and it is with tools like wordpress, its more the time commitment of getting all of the information out there. How important your time is and how comfortable you are in making a decent site is what it comes down too, bad websites are almost worse than not having one at all. If i cant find your info thats one thing, but if i find your site then go to it and cant find what im looking for I am immediately frustrated and turned off lol. One of my local brew shops Main Brew recently upgraded their website, and its HORRIBLE now. Every search shows a big gigantic picture of the grain and a description, and the search is so bad it pops up like 50 things, and of course it can only show 10 per page, so something like finding the price for a grain that should take 10 seconds takes 3 minutes of page scrolling.
Go here http://www.mainbrew.com and search for Pale...which you would expect to pop up a list of products containing the word pale..like Pale 2 row, Pale Extract, but no...it gives you 6 pages of nonsense. And. It. Makes. Me. Rage.

We've all seen them, the sites that look like they haven't been upgraded since 1995. Animated GIF's of mail going into a mailbox and tons of sparkling flashing colors is not going to cut it now adays

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!
SpentGrains Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #118
Face Eater
I brew beer....
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't mind paying a bit more to support my lhbs. Do I buy everything at my lhbs? No... I like the convenience of buying online, selection is sometimes better and sometimes the pricing comes out better as well. I go to the lhbs for bulk grain (sometimes group buy for this) and for things I need right away. I would say I support both fairly equal with my business.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #119
jake-k
Student of Homebrewing

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even though my LHBS store is also a little more expensive, I still try to buy some stuff their to keep a good standing relationship with the owner as you never know when a favor might come in handy. They will go a little out of their way to help knowing you are supporting their buisness!!!!

ALL GOOD THINGS COME WITH TIME!!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #120
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 562 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 155

FWIW, the packets of yeast I've bought locally have been 2-3 months old. The packets I bought online were weeks to 1 month old.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Quick Reply