New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > LHBS prices vs buying online

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #101
SpentGrains
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
First of all you need a website. Then you really need to do some type of SEO(Search Engine Optimization) there are companies out there that can help you do it, or you can try to do it yourself...but it takes many months to get noticed and prominently displayed by google or other search engines.

A web domain is super cheap per year and a website is like $10-15 a month maximum for what your doing, there are cheaper options too.
Pretty much on point, you don't even need to become Morebeer but you need to be able to be found online. I only use the Yellowpages to lift my computer monitor up off my desk, seriously.

The short cut is paying for advertising on search engines and other sites, and if Yelp is as big where you are as it is where I am, GET ON IT and work at getting solid reviews. When I look for a new restaurant to eat at for example, I look on Yelp. If you get a solid Yelp presence that will put you and your positive reviews at the top of the Google search.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #102
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingBrewer View Post
Okay, being computer illeterate, how does one go about getting that? I agree, with a google search in this area I should be right on top of the list. Im always open for help in promoting my store.
I'm going to give you a helping hand my friend.

I have been doing SEO for 4 years now as a career and will tell you that the face of Search Engine Optimization has changed quite a bit in recent months.

There are thousands of self proclaimed SEO experts out there that will take your money and give you very little in return.

If you are interested in getting the most bang for your buck you should:

-Develop a website by signing up for web hosting and create a simple site using wordpress.
- Use Google Plus to create a business page for exposure
-promote your website on other websites

Would love to explain everything but way too much info. Google anything that you don't understand. The information is out there, you just gotta find it.

Good luck

Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #103
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 469 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
You missed the entire point.
I don't think I've missed your point. I've understood everything you've said thus far. I don't disagree because I can't comprehend the words that you're writing. To imply such would be, quite frankly, very rude.

Quote:
If you displace local jobs, then not only is the tax from that company gone but the jobs are also.
The jobs have moved from that company to some other company. Clearly we can agree on this simple point.

As for the taxes from that company, we obviously need to fix the tax laws. We've been content to buy online and not pay taxes, even openly admitting that we buy online to avoid them at times. That's just the sales tax portion.

If we're talking the rest of the tax revenue from the company that's gone, they've moved to wherever the other company is. There's no way around this one, unless you're in favor of a wholly Federally subsidized system of local governments.

Now. Is it really gone? Probably not. If I saved $50 by shopping for, say, PB2 online, am I necessarily going to go spend that $50 online? I may very well decide to take a road trip, or buy 20 sacks of potatoes, or hire a local hooker.

Quote:
You have people without the income to spend and your job is soon to follow.
This argument has been had since the dawn of time. The automobile took away trainmakers' income. The train took away the carriagemakers' income. The carriage took away the saddlemakers' income. The saddle took away (some of) the shoemakers' income. On and on. You'd think we'd all be unemployed by now. But yanno what, our neighbors still have jobs - much more technical ones at that.

As humans, we like to think of the future as doom and gloom because it's different than the past, but really it's just different from what we've accustomed ourselves to. And that scares the hell out of us. We're not creatures that deal well with anything less than absolute certainly (and often times, if we can achieve it, we find it boring).

If you want to be concerned about the concentration of wealth and the movement of funds from rural to urban areas, as seems to be your main concern, then you have to oppose corporations, not online shopping.

Quote:
If you understand economics, by spending a dollar local you are actually getting a return that doesn't exist when you send your money away.
Show me a recent source for this. One written in, say, the last 3 years, by a reputable source.

Quote:
As for incentive for online retailers to move here or any other particular area, there isn't infrastructure for online companies to ship and I do not care to live near freeways, rail ways or major airports.
You can't have your pie and eat it too. I choose to live in a small town outside suburbia, but with the understanding that my savings on my mortgage will be eaten up by other expenses primarily relating to petroleum.

Quote:
It's the same thing as when people want to save a buck and buy a product made in China instead of American made.
If you cause your neighbors to be unemployed to save a couple bucks, then you will certainly follow when the people around you can't afford to spend money on whatever pays your check.
Again, it causes me to have a buck leftover to spend however I want, including locally if I so choose. So, sure, I'll buy Chinese screws over American screws if they're less expensive.

If a Chinese factory makes the same product for a cheaper price, why should I pay more? Do you neighbors really want jobs working in a screw factory under deplorable conditions and disgusting work hours for pennies per hour? I've never seen a Chinese factory job that I would personally want to do (other than assembling iPhones), even for $10/hour.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #104
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpentGrains View Post
Pretty much on point, you don't even need to become Morebeer but you need to be able to be found online. I only use the Yellowpages to lift my computer monitor up off my desk, seriously.

The short cut is paying for advertising on search engines and other sites, and if Yelp is as big where you are as it is where I am, GET ON IT and work at getting solid reviews. When I look for a new restaurant to eat at for example, I look on Yelp. If you get a solid Yelp presence that will put you and your positive reviews at the top of the Google search.
Solid advice. In the meantime, try Google Adsense, Yelp, etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #105
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Thanks, Im checking it out now!

Brew What You Drink!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #106
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingBrewer View Post
Thanks, Im checking it out now!
I too tried to search for you. And without knowing your company name, I was unable to find you.

You really need to put up a business profile on Google. If I'm driving through a town, I use Google Maps to find LBHSes. If I type "NameofCity, ST Home Brewing Supply" and it doesn't come up, I keep driving.

It doesn't have to be intricate. Your business name. Your store hours. Your contact information. A few categories. Adding your logo would be icing on the cake.

Start here: https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=lbc&continue=https://www.google.com/local/add%3Fservice%3Dlbc

SpentGrains Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #107
thadius856

Recipes 

Perhaps I'm a bit jaded. I haven't had great service thus far. I've been to two of my LBHSes.

One was OK. It took an hour for me to pick up two recipe kits. They're displayed online, but they don't have anything in the store to say what's available. I told the clerk what kind of beers I'd like and asked if he could recommend one. He told me to look at what they had on the shelf or use my phone to look at the website. Seriously? It was right at opening, and there was 3 customers there, but I was going into the city and could have come back to pick up my order in a few hours if he'd taken a few more minutes to help me. Once we were at the ringing up stage, I had his full attention. Funny, that.

The other LHBS I went into was dirty. I don't mean just slightly dirty. Super dirty. So dirty that I'd be be nervous for my car if it was getting the oil changed inside his store. The old guy at the counter was grumpy. When he asked what i secondary in, I told him I usually skip it. He asked where I learned that, and I said "online". He comes back with "yeah, there's a lot of really bad misinformation floating around out there". It was like a slap to the face. I rang out the few things I'd picked out and left. I'm not going back. Sacramento brewers probably know exactly what LHBS I'm talking about.

I went to visit the 3rd one, 90 minutes away. Has good reviews. Arrived to find it closed Tuesdays. Looked nice through the windows, so I had somebody that works in the area pick me up some things the next day. They're not a brewer. I provided a recipe and asked for a few simple things, like clamps. They came back with the grain ground up loose in a paper grocery sack, 3 month old Wyeast, and over a dozen stainless thumbscrew clamps that cost $1.75 each. The debit receipt was for $135, they didn't have all of the ingredients, and he was there 90 minutes. There's no itemized receipt, so I have no idea where all that money went to. At least he was offered a brew while he waited.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #108
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Good point about Google maps, that may be #1 priority. Where does Apple maps get its location data from? Google?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
When he asked what i secondary in, I told him I usually skip it. He asked where I learned that, and I said "online". He comes back with "yeah, there's a lot of really bad misinformation floating around out there". It was like a slap to the face.
Yep, it's interactions like that with shop owners in general that's disheartening. They remind me of some of the old guys who have been wrenching on cars their whole life. They know EVERYTHING about cars (sure do, any car made before 1976 anyways). They've been doing it their way for decades, and it works so there couldn't possibly be a better way...

Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #109
thadius856

Recipes 

From the bottom the sea, I'd imagine.

Google Maps on the left, Apple Maps on the right.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #110
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
I too tried to search for you. And without knowing your company name, I was unable to find you.

You really need to put up a business profile on Google. If I'm driving through a town, I use Google Maps to find LBHSes. If I type "NameofCity, ST Home Brewing Supply" and it doesn't come up, I keep driving.

It doesn't have to be intricate. Your business name. Your store hours. Your contact information. A few categories. Adding your logo would be icing on the cake.

Start here: https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=lbc&continue=https://www.google.com/local/add%3Fservice%3Dlbc
This is very true. Google is the new phone book. It's not difficult at all to put up a basic page and at the very least, have a page with items and brand names you carry. You don't have to be an online retailer, but knowing you carry say Monster Mills could be a huge point in having someone stop in.

Quick Reply