Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > LHBS prices vs buying online

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #91
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingBrewer View Post
As the owner of the LHBS I must say Im a bit hurt. I shop the on-line stores and try to compete but I also have to be realistic. I pay X amount for a product from my supplier, X amount for shipping to my store, Rent, Utilities, labor, etc.... I think my prices are fair but I can not charge what the on-line stores do. If my business were to increase and I had a cash flow that was consistent I could drop prices to be more competitive. As it is with being a new business and the rates I have to pay to get items here and on the shelf you can buy them for less on-line. Factor in shipping and waiting for delivery and Im clearly the better option plus I'm right here for you Monday thru Saturday!
As you can see, I'm with you man!
If you were within 2 1/2 hours of me like my "local" store, you would know me by name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_and_krystal View Post
My LHBS is 2 hours away so after figuring gas in with everything it is so not worth making that drive.. Only thing about online is the shipping...Morebeer took 9 days to send my last batch... What is the best online store? I also used brewers best with my first kit, it only took a few days to get here and they had the best customer service. Can't say that with morebeer...
I can understand this since it's not actually local and the cost in time and money to get there is a factor.

I would buy less at the store 2 1/2 hours from me if it weren't for taking my daughter to visit family there and combining other needs into the trip.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

WyomingBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #92
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
The comment was back at another guy, but I think every comment is open to rebuttal by anyone. It's a pretty open discussion.
Well you can certainly do what you want, but in the big picture, like was stated way back, the threat of the ecommerce replacing the local stores is the big picture.
Any one industry isn't really going to be the trigger that causes the problem.
If no one bought from the local brew store and they went under, that would have very little effect on the economy.

The big picture though is based on the pattern of all the little decisions that are made.
It's completely based on one small purchase at a time and that purchase isn't a problem.
The combination of all those meaningless purchases is the problem, sort of like death by a million paper cuts.

You have to decide as an individual if you are going to contribute to the shift to online or to supporting the local stores.

There are times when I don't shop local and go to stores out of town for example simply because the local store isn't a good store. Price, service and other factors can make me not go to a store.
Price by it's self though doesn't mean that they have to be the cheapest option, only that I think they are being fair.
There is more overhead cost per item in a local store and the buying power sometimes means that they don't get the item for what an online retailer does.
I guess thats where we differ, i dont see eCommerce as a threat.
I see it as the next logical step towards the method of sale for what is now a global economy. There's really no fighting it at this point, i'd venture to say that a majority of commerce will be done online in the next decade. Hell you've even been able to buy groceries online and have them delivered to your house for the last 5+ years.

That said i buy local when i can, but when things are over 2x the cost locally than online with shipping, you really dont think twice about saving.
Like i'd love to get my keezer supplies(shanks/faucets/hose/etc) locally, but buying it all locally even from Brew Brothers i'd be paying an extra 100+ dollars than getting it from various online shops.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #93
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
As the owner of the LHBS I must say Im a bit hurt. I shop the on-line stores and try to compete but I also have to be realistic. I pay X amount for a product from my supplier, X amount for shipping to my store, Rent, Utilities, labor, etc.... I think my prices are fair but I can not charge what the on-line stores do. If my business were to increase and I had a cash flow that was consistent I could drop prices to be more competitive. As it is with being a new business and the rates I have to pay to get items here and on the shelf you can buy them for less on-line. Factor in shipping and waiting for delivery and Im clearly the better option plus I'm right here for you Monday thru Saturday!
Well I'm not local to you obviously but I'll give you my opinion (worth less than two cents):

You have no online presence. I just Googled for you, not knowing your name but generic search terms with your city state, and a competitor's ad comes up on Google. I can't find where your store is but an online competitor. Strike 1.

A little Google-Foo to search out your store name I found it, and Googled you and only a Facebook page comes up. I have no Facebook account (honestly) so I don't really know what to do. I did find your name and address though, but no email. Strike 2.

There really isn't any reason you shouldn't be dominating the WY specific online searches, if at least to help people find where you are.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #94
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Big Horn Basin Brew Supply....I do not have an on-line store as of yet. We are new as I have stated. I do want to grow and be able to keep enough inventory in stock to have an on-line presence but that takes people choosing me over on-line to do. All we have right now is a Facebook page. You can look for us there.

Brew What You Drink!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #95
Stocktonbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

True...I found the closest shop to me(the good brewer in livermore) using a google search.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #96
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Okay, being computer illeterate, how does one go about getting that? I agree, with a google search in this area I should be right on top of the list. Im always open for help in promoting my store.

Brew What You Drink!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #97
45_70sharps
Recipes 

I can see not being interested in online.
You should be able to find any business at least exists and what their hours are though.

My "local" store doesn't have much more than that.
They're setup to have inventory online and even orders, but the time to do it is the big problem I think.

Just being able to find their hours and number is good enough for me. I've got his number in my phone and got his email address so that I can check if he has what I want before I drive 2 1/2 hours to the store.

In modern times though, I do google what I'm looking for right on my phone when I'm out of town then use the GPS to find them.

If a store is only interested in very local business, they don't need it.
A brew store should be drawing people from the outlying areas though.

I do understand though that it takes time and money go get there.
As I said, if I were within range of your store, you would know my face and probably my first name.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #98
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Okay, being computer illeterate, how does one go about getting that? I agree, with a google search in this area I should be right on top of the list. Im always open for help in promoting my store.
First of all you need a website. Then you really need to do some type of SEO(Search Engine Optimization) there are companies out there that can help you do it, or you can try to do it yourself...but it takes many months to get noticed and prominently displayed by google or other search engines.

A web domain is super cheap per year and a website is like $10-15 a month maximum for what your doing, there are cheaper options too.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #99
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
I hear ya! I completely understand your struggle as a small business owner.

Offer your products with a markup to cover your cost and pay yourself a fair wage. If you offer good service with a smile in addition to a competitive price you will stay open much longer than the rest.

The LHBS I went to is very well known in the area and does a fairly high volume of business for what I can tell. With a 42% variance in their prices compared to Morebeer and not even seeing their overhead, I can say with a bit of certainty that they are making a healthy profit at the cost of unsuspecting customers who are not as nerdy as me and actually do this comparison.

While I will not mention the name of this establishment (you know who you are) I have located another local home brew store that just opened and at first glance has much better prices and just as large of a selection.

I will stop by this evening and pick up a few odds and ends and scope it out. Will report back.

Who are you guys using in the RDU area?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #100
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Quote:
I would start by contacting these guys.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...atutes/wyoming

They list local stores on their website and I used the Washington equivalent when I started searching.

Your own web page would be good, but I don't know jack about setting that up.
No one had computers when I was in school, so the 20 something guys will be able to help there.

Even finding out where there are clubs within a decent driving range and stopping into a meeting could help you out a bunch, not that I've ever been to a brew club.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Quick Reply