Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Letting Your Beer Cool On Its Own

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Duffman53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Letting Your Beer Cool On Its Own

Hey, everyone! It is my understanding that we want to cool our beer down as quickly as possible after brewing to avoid it getting any bacteria in it, correct?

Since I'm on a budget I decided to let my beer get down to room temperature by sitting in my fermentation pail overnight with the lid on and a filled airlock in the grommet. Once it had cooled I removed the lid and sprinkled my Safale-05 in it and it is bubbling away.

Does anyone see any risk in this approach or anything that may alter my beer if it sits in the pail while it cools?

Thanks for your answers.
D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

There is risk involved since you are not pitching yeast right away, and the wort will be in the 'danger zone' for an extended period of time. But if you sanitize well and keep it all sealed you shouldnt have any issue. FWIW they call this "no chill brewing", there are tons of threads on the subject.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

You run a greater risk of infection and/or soured wort this way, but you should be ok if your sanitation was on par. Why not place your brew kettle in an ice bath to cool it? That's what I do and I can chill 4 gal to 70*f in under 45 mins.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
kpr121
Recipes 

The other thing to consider is hop utilization. Basically your aroma hops release more AA when doing no chill, so people adjust their schedules. Search for those threads, theres tons of good reading on hop schedule adjustments.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
brewit2it
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did you pour it into your bucket right after boiling? Fermentation buckets aren't rated to tolerate temps of non-cooled wort so if you want to use the method of letting it cool overnight you usually leave it in the brew kettle with the lid on then transfer it after it is cooled.

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do it all the time and put them in the swamp cooler overnight and pitch the next day. I make a few adjustments. First i add the last 10 minute hop additions after the boil has ceased and let it sit there lid on the pot until the temp is 165 and transfer to the bucket. It works fine and it takes an hour and a mess off the brewday. I have never had and infection in a primary by the way. I have two upstairs now that are chugging along.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
kpr121
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewit2it View Post
Did you pour it into your bucket right after boiling? Fermentation buckets aren't rated to tolerate temps of non-cooled wort so if you want to use the method of letting it cool overnight you usually leave it in the brew kettle with the lid on then transfer it after it is cooled.
While I wouldnt dump boiling hot wort (212 F) directly into a fermenting bucket, food grade plastic is typically rated to be able to handle temperatures up to 180 F. When I bought my Ale Pail, it was advertised as food grade plastic.

I would think that if you let it cool for 5 minutes or two then dumped you would be fine.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1645 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
While I wouldnt dump boiling hot wort (212 F) directly into a fermenting bucket, food grade plastic is typically rated to be able to handle temperatures up to 180 F. When I bought my Ale Pail, it was advertised as food grade plastic.

I would think that if you let it cool for 5 minutes or two then dumped you would be fine.
While that may be true, I'd still take the "better safe than sorry" approach.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Robust Porter, Dark Mild, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter
Primary: English Cider, Belgian IPA
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: (Empty for now)
Bottled: Doppelsticke Altbier, Berliner Weisse, Spiced Winter Warmer, English IPA, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I always thought that yhe benefit of rapidly chilling cooled wort was to achieve a cold break - am I misundestanding the concept?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman53 View Post
Hey, everyone! It is my understanding that we want to cool our beer down as quickly as possible after brewing to avoid it getting any bacteria in it, correct?

Since I'm on a budget I decided to let my beer get down to room temperature by sitting in my fermentation pail overnight with the lid on and a filled airlock in the grommet. Once it had cooled I removed the lid and sprinkled my Safale-05 in it and it is bubbling away.

Does anyone see any risk in this approach or anything that may alter my beer if it sits in the pail while it cools?

Thanks for your answers.
D
You will be fine as stated as long as you cleaned well. I watched my dad do it and then I did it for about 30 years that way.....not a plastic bucket when I was a kid, they didn't have plastic 5 gal buckets then, or at least he didn't know about them then. About ten years ago I started cooling in an ice bath and then about 5 years ago made a copper coil chiller. There is no denying that the changes that I have made over the years ended up with me making a better beer but bottom line is that there are lots of ways to get the job done and lots of suggestions how to do it. You did it, it will be great beer and you learned a little more for next time. I will suggest that you try giving the boiled Wort five extra minutes in the kettle with the flame off to cool it down a little and then give the ice bath a try, it works and is cheap until you can take the next equiptment step.

Quick Reply