Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Letting the wort rest for 30 min after boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Letting the wort rest for 30 min after boil?

So I used to be doing extract recipes, and a few of the recipes said that after the boil, let the wort sit with the lid on it, for 30 min. Then chill the wort with a wort chiller or in a bath. I currently have a wort chiller.

But I was wondering if you even need to let it sit for 30 min after the boil or why you would?

And yesterday when I did my first all grain, I let it sit for 30 min. But now I'm reading a lot of posts that just skip or don't mention this step.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4920 Times on 3569 Posts
Likes Given: 990

I can't imagine any reason to let the wort sit without chilling, especially for an extract batch, unless you have 0 minute hops and want to let them steep a bit before chilling.

I like to chill right away (unless I'm using "whirlpool hops" at the end of the boil), but I know some who do that and THEN let the wort sit after a stir so that the hot break and stuff falls to the bottom. But I can see no reason at all to let the wort "rest" after brewing if not using those late hops.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Passload

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Chill right away. No since in making your brew day any longer.

Cheers! J.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Relax, and trust the yeast to do their job, it's the one thing they are really good at!

Zuckerflüsschen Brauend Firma
On Deck: Whatever I Want
Primary: Sugarcreek Amber Ale
Brite Tank:
Aging: Philr-er-up Rockwell
Drinking/Kegged: The Golden Quitty

"It's just like anything else"
"It's not rocket science"

Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the clarification guys.

I think it may have been because it was a generic recipe where they just filled in the information for the recipe in pen, with the ingredients, and the steps were already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I can't imagine any reason to let the wort sit without chilling, especially for an extract batch, unless you have 0 minute hops and want to let them steep a bit before chilling.

I like to chill right away (unless I'm using "whirlpool hops" at the end of the boil), but I know some who do that and THEN let the wort sit after a stir so that the hot break and stuff falls to the bottom. But I can see no reason at all to let the wort "rest" after brewing if not using those late hops.
And there were a few cases where I had an extract with the 0 minute hops

Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
ScottSingleton
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

hop steeping and/or whirlpooling would be the only reason. I whirlpool to let the trub settle a bit before I chill. Since I use a plate chiller my whole chilling process takes < 5 minutes; but by whirlpooling and waiting about 10 minutes I get a good bottom cone of trub that would otherwise clog my plate chiller.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

After the boil I will create a strong whirlpool and let sit for about 10 minutes for things to settle in the center of the kettle and then chill but I drain my kettle through a CFC, no recirculation.

If you're using an IC and then dumping into the primary the whirlpool doesn't do anything.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Were these clone recipes? It is possible that it was done to simulate conditions in a commercial brewery; the wort would be whirlpooled and then have a rest of typically around 30 minutes during which the hops and trub would settle to the bottom in a tight cone. While you wouldn't be doing a whirlpool like that unless you had some advanced gear, the 30 minute rest with hops would give a similar flavor/aroma effect in the finished product.

Not saying this IS why the instructions said that, but it is one possibility.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 03-27-2012, 02:45 AM   #8
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
Were these clone recipes? It is possible that it was done to simulate conditions in a commercial brewery; the wort would be whirlpooled and then have a rest of typically around 30 minutes during which the hops and trub would settle to the bottom in a tight cone. While you wouldn't be doing a whirlpool like that unless you had some advanced gear, the 30 minute rest with hops would give a similar flavor/aroma effect in the finished product.

Not saying this IS why the instructions said that, but it is one possibility.
No they were just cookie cutter instructions that came with the beer kits that the LHBS created & sold.

Quick Reply