Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Let the sparge begin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Latamir
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Let the sparge begin

I want to make sure I do this right so I am going to explain what I am thinking I have to do and you guys correct me.
I am doing my first sparge next weekend, so took a nice clean ice chest built a CPVC tube square with small slots (not big enough for grain) and a spigot that will hook to my wort chiller and which will be in cold ice water.
Here is the steps the way I think it should be done by what I have read and seen on you tube.
1. Heat 5 gallons of water to 160 and put in cooler and let sit for 30 mins to temper the chest.

2. Add grain, stir, and let sit for 30- 45 mins

3. Draw out the spigot some wort and add it back to the top until it runs clear from filtering through the grain using a pan with holes in the bottom so the splashing will not disturb the grain bed

This is where I get some confusion

4. Run into a pot then adding hot water to the top to get as much wort as you can until it runs almost clear, basically rinsing the grains?

5. Boil wort and continue the brew process as normal

"Raise your drinking glass, heres to yesterday"
Aerosmith - Full Circle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Yes, after step 3 (the vorlauf) you will collect as much wort as you can, this will be your first runnings which you put into your boil kettle. Then you add your sparge water at whatever temp (usually 170 if you are mashing out), stir, cover and let sit for ~10min. Then you drain your mash tun again and collect your second runnings which are added to the boil kettle. If you did not reach your desired preboil volume by then you can always do another sparge.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 53

What are you making? Recipe? I don't think 160° is going to get you to your desired strike temp and preheat your MT/cooler...

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Latamir
Recipes 

I miss typed sorry 170 ish was the temp i ment to type. I will be brewing an Irish red and and Oatmeal stout. Also, making some mead, cider, and Soda of course thats not using the same methods.. lol

"Raise your drinking glass, heres to yesterday"
Aerosmith - Full Circle

Quick Reply