I want to make sure I do this right so I am going to explain what I am thinking I have to do and you guys correct me.
I am doing my first sparge next weekend, so took a nice clean ice chest built a CPVC tube square with small slots (not big enough for grain) and a spigot that will hook to my wort chiller and which will be in cold ice water.
Here is the steps the way I think it should be done by what I have read and seen on you tube.
1. Heat 5 gallons of water to 160 and put in cooler and let sit for 30 mins to temper the chest.
2. Add grain, stir, and let sit for 30- 45 mins
3. Draw out the spigot some wort and add it back to the top until it runs clear from filtering through the grain using a pan with holes in the bottom so the splashing will not disturb the grain bed
This is where I get some confusion
4. Run into a pot then adding hot water to the top to get as much wort as you can until it runs almost clear, basically rinsing the grains?
5. Boil wort and continue the brew process as normal