Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lessons learned

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Dycokac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default lessons learned

So broke my 6.5 carboy last night. I knew better too which is sad i do partial boils so i took the 2.5 gallon brew water and put it in my carboy instead of my plastic ferment pail like usual and then put it in my bath tub with ice cold water (there's snow on the ground up here and it's about 25F outside so that water was probably around 40F. and it popped the bottom out of the carboy... yikes! Atleast it was only the brew water and not the wort so my Hefe is doing fine in a 5gal carboy right now (def leaving the blowoff for awhile).

BUT,I do have a question about hops, i buy the 1oz packets, the id carlson ones. and i split them in half this time, and happend to weigh them before i i used them and read 2 oz total... is that usual? they do say 1oz NET...

And I used leaf plugs for the first time last night, that was cool.

Also used a starter this time with yeast i washed from the last batch! guess i washed it right cause it did take off in the starter and after pitching about 10pm last night i woke to gurgling in the blow off bucket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There are many horror stories with glass carboys. I went with better bottles because, quite frankly the glass ones scare me. Any thermal shock and/or physical shock and you'll easily put microstress cracks that only become apparent when the carboy is full of wort and usually ends in a disaster where you lose your hard work and worse, get hurt. They are made of very cheap glass!

About the hops, I am not sure your question. They are usually quite accurate with the small 1 oz packets. Any small deviation in the weight won't affect your results. They most likely won't be any more than 1 gm under/over.

Cool deal with the yeast!

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
Dycokac
Recipes 

I just had a brilliant thought, i wasn't weighting the hops sans the packaging, one was a zip lock bag, the other was just the original pouch minus some of it... so i bet that's where the extra weight went

The carboy I had was very thick, nearly half an inch and was almost plate glass strength. Breaking it down to fit in a box, I had to hit it pretty hard with a claw hammer to get it to compact.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I'm reading your post correctly, you put hot water off the stovetop into your carboy?

Definitely don't do that with a Better Bottle either!!!

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 12-17-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Get yourself a chiller, either immersion or counter-flow...
it will be one of the best investments you can make. You not only don't
need to worry about putting hot wort into anything, carboy, better bottle, bucket,
what ever, but you also will have better cold break, less chance of infection, etc.

I built my CF chiller after brewing my very first batch, and I have never regretted it.

My LHBS

Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Dycokac
Recipes 

Yeah, pouring boiling water into the carboy, didn't go over too well, it did bubble back out on me.

I'm upgrading my brewpot in the next couple months and plan to put together a Counter flow chiller at that time. Hope to have 2 taps of kegging setup by end of January.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
rabidgerbil

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dycokac
Yeah, pouring boiling water into the carboy, didn't go over too well, it did bubble back out on me.

I'm upgrading my brewpot in the next couple months and plan to put together a Counter flow chiller at that time. Hope to have 2 taps of kegging setup by end of January.
If you are building it yourself, and doing the "copper tubing inside of a garden hose" method, like so many of us have, I will warn you that there is NOTHING fun about trying to ram that tube through the garden hose... use lots of liquid dish soap to lubricate it, that will help. That being said, it was the best thing that I ever could have done, in my opinion. You can dial in an exact temp, and your wort comes out just how you want it, with no interaction with the outside world as it is cooling.

You will not regret building one.

My LHBS

Old 12-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I second the dishsoap suggestion and don't try forcing it in without straightening the copper out first. I thought I'd be able to weasel it in while it was still coiled. No way, I got maybe 4 feet in. I'd also recommend getting real rubber hose that does NOT say "do not use with hot water" on the label.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
rabidgerbil

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 on straightening.
I laid everything out in the driveway, so that I could get a nice long straight stretch on the hose and the tubing. Don't try to rush it... it takes time, and it is a pain in the a$$, but it is worth it.

My LHBS

Old 12-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Dycokac
Recipes 

you guys build : http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9395 ?

Quick Reply