Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lemongrass Secondary Addition?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
tdp11182
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lemongrass Secondary Addition?

One of my favorite beers is Magic Hat's Circus Boy - simple hefeweizen with lemongrass.

I have never tried using lemongrass (being a chef I love cooking with it at least) - read up a lot about adding at end of boil and then in the secondary but so many different ways ie: boiling, chopping, blending, whole stalks etc... and I'm just looking about how I should go about doing this. I was planning on only secondary but wasn't sure about how to add.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Tim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I did a butternut lemongrass blond back in the fall. Didn't want to be bothered preparing fresh and I understand you can get vegetal flavors using too much and too long in the secondary. I used dried, about 3 grams at the end of the boil and 3 grams dry grass for 7 days. I thought dried spices and the like were more potent than fresh. Couldn't really find the lemongrass.

"...allowing the beer to become what it is." -- Jason Yester, Trinity Brewing Co.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I did a lemongrass/ ginger saison. I added it at 10 minutes. I used 2 stalks finely chopped in a hop bag. I got very slight lemon flavor so if I was going to do it again i probably would use 4 stalks. Of course it all depends on just how fresh the lemongrass is.

I add spices to my beers like how I cook. If the flavor is too strong then it is too much. It is best to err on the side of too little rather than too much.

You could add some at 10 minutes, taste it afteer it has fermented out. If it is not enough, dry lemongrass with some more.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I always associate lemongrass with Thai cooking. It just begs for the beer name "Thai One On"

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #5
tdp11182
Recipes 

Awesome.... And will name something along those lines lol.... Think ill try secondary chopped in bag first then next time some at the end of the boil see the difference!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 691

I bruised the lemongrass (bent and made cuts but not chopped) and add it at flameout (with a 10 minute steep) for my lemon wheat last summer. Just pair it with lemon-type hops and your good to go.

Quick Reply