The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > left steeping grains in too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #61
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
End of primary fermentation is indicated when there's one bubble per 2:30 to 3:00 minutes, I thought everyone knew that.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #62
Frodo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Well, yeah.... don't they teach that at UC Davis? Isn't it part of that second to last class? The class right before the last one where they teach you how wrong it is to make a starter?

Really, I can't believe this dude thinks anyone would believe such a ridiculous claim. Davis..... I should start telling everyone my degree's from Berklee College of Music, sounds so much better than the city college that I went to.
I really, seriously, did think before going "pro" that it'd be helpful if not necessary to go to Davis. Now not so much if that's what's being taught, particularly the stuff being stated by you, Jeff. I thought I'd learn the logistics of going from a 5 gallon idealogy to a 100,000 barrel system, not how best to piss off homebrewers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #63
jeffjjpkiser1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo

I can't resist. I've been drinking a bit so sue me. I think it is just awesome that you berate us for being authoritative then you spout your UC Davis brewing education. That, my friend, is awesome!

edit: also, I had previously considered that if I had a serious career inclination to switch to brewing professionally I should go to UC Davis for a Brewmaster's Certificate. Now I'm thinking that would be a waste of time. Thanks for potentially saving me $10,000, more?
You are more then welcome, I only mentioned the Davis connection because the assumption was that I was homebrewer that couldn't tell his ass from a hole in the ground. I can't by the way!

Going to start an IBD certificate course next month to see if the Brits do it any differently.

Drink away!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #64
jeffjjpkiser1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77

I too, found that incredibly funny. I figured he'd gotten the idea by my posting on this thread and here on Revvy's bottling thread that I smelled bull turd as soon as UC Davis was brought into the conversation. Frankly, I think it speaks volumes about one's character when, in lacking anything concrete in an argument, they resort to touting quality education or formal training.
Now I'm off to read Jeff's lecture on Airlock Bubbles. I figure not only am I saving money on formal education by listening to this guy, I'm probably learning a lot more about the craft to boot. It's like training directly at the circus instead of wasting all that time in clown college.
Cheers everyone, I'm going to finish my pint of Surly Hell while I reply to this same guy spouting even sillier things on a HBT sticky written by a brewer whom I have a lot of respect for. I get to sleep in tomorrow on my day off, then enjoy an evening out with some fellow home brewers. It's Fresh Hops Week at a local brewpub; Surly Wet, Lucid Wamo (wet hopped Camo IIPA), their own all Simcoe, wet hopped ale and many others.
I could make money from this. The rentings of Jeff the all knowing. Thanks guys. Dropping off samples for a BJCP blind review of Oktoberfest beers right now.

Cheers respected brewer and his sidekick

Old 10-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #65
Cheepbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 66

LOLOL... I guess brewing beer can be real easy... or real Hard!

Quick Reply