The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Left in primary too long, how long in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 AM   #1
BrownAle4Me
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Left in primary too long, how long in secondary?

Hey all!

I just racked my second brew ever to secondary tonight. Man did it taste good too! I couldn't stop drinking the sample I took. Can't wait for it all to be done.

Anyways, my whole schedule got screwed up this week. I had to wait for some bottles to come in to bottle my first batch in the secondary. So that pushed my whole thing back a week. So this batch has been in the primary for 2 weeks instead of 1. I'm curious if I should leave it in the secondary for the normal 2 weeks or pull it out in a week since it had an extra week in primary.

Next Up: Smooth Nut Brown Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2007, 03:14 AM   #2
DraconianHand
nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd let it sit for another week, then rack it to a bottling bucket and bottle it (or keg it).

Whether or not you need to secondary is pretty much a matter of opinion (I don't believe anyone has done any true scientific research to the effects of secondary fermentation in a homebrew setting).

If you want to secondary it, go ahead an do it and leave it in secondary as long as you normally would.

Ferminatin' - Route 666 Pale Ale

Figurin' to do - Oatmeal Stout, Gueuze, Belgian Blonde, Mild, English Pale Ale, Weizenbock

Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 AM   #3
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

That extra week will not harm your beer at all. If you have enough patience, rack it to the secondary and leave it in there for 2 weeks like you normally would. That extra week of fermentation can't hurt anything!

Old 07-23-2007, 03:16 AM   #4
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 112 Posts

1-2 weeks, whatever. you're fine

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-23-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The 1-2-3 rule specifies suggested MINIMUM times in the fermenter: 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, 3 weeks in the bottle. However, for most beer styles you can safely double or triple these lengths of time, often to the benefit of the beer. So don't worry about leaving the beer in the primary for an extra week or two.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
BrownAle4Me
Recipes 

Cool! Thanks for the help all! I have a feeling this one is gonna come out great!

Next Up: Smooth Nut Brown Ale

Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
paulDK
Recipes 

I have a presurized plastic secondary fermenter, with an inlet for gas, and a tap outlet for drawing a pint. I have left one or two ales in these for 6 months, and theyre really crispy ales. My first one was a ginger ale. ( i used a light ale kit) and added ground and chopped ginger in the first fermentation bucket and left it for 7 days. Syphoned it off into a the pressure barrel and added more sugar and just left it to to ferment again.
I must say....it was a bostin ale...!!! (Bostin = great...Blackcountry talk)...lol

Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Ridebreck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yep, no worries. The batch that I recently bottled was in the primary for 5 weeks - the final two weeks were cold conditioning. It's nice & tasty.

Quick Reply