Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Left the iodophor in the fermentation bucket overnight...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
arover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Left the iodophor in the fermentation bucket overnight...

Was going to start some cider...completely forgot about it. Now the bucket is stained and smell is a bit off, I'm going to use it today but I was wondering if any of you see any objection to that? Like, the smell may effect the cider/future beers I ferment in there? I figure it'll fade away in time anyways, as well as the color.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by arover View Post
Was going to start some cider...completely forgot about it. Now the bucket is stained and smell is a bit off, I'm going to use it today but I was wondering if any of you see any objection to that? Like, the smell may effect the cider/future beers I ferment in there? I figure it'll fade away in time anyways, as well as the color.
You'll be fine. Most of my gear smells like iodophor at one time or another. It'll be okay.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it truely bothers you, you can make a bleach/water solution and bleach the color out. Be sure to rinse it out really good afterwards, bleach is known for leaving a film. Rinse well!

For the smell, I've seen posted numerous times to fill the container with coffee grounds for 24 hours. Not sure if that truely works but it seems to be a popular solution.

Personally I don't worry about it. If it gets bad enough, I'll get a new bucket.

Brew on...

Old 07-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

And when you are done with that bottle of idophor you can switch to StarSan and never have to worry about staining or odors again.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll leave the StarSan/Iodophor debate for another thread.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #6
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrainer View Post
If it truely bothers you, you can make a bleach/water solution and bleach the color out. Be sure to rinse it out really good afterwards, bleach is known for leaving a film. Rinse well!

For the smell, I've seen posted numerous times to fill the container with coffee grounds for 24 hours. Not sure if that truely works but it seems to be a popular solution.

Coffee grounds? Bleach?

I have left sanitizing solution made up with iodophor in my bottling bucket for days on end. Things will stain, it's just how it goes. IMHO, bleach and coffee grounds are far worse than iodophor.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah bleach to remove the stain if it bothers him that much.... the coffee grounds is just a suggestion for odor. Personally I don't have that issue as I use star san and I don't care about the odors from past beers.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i would throw the bucket in the trash can. that iodophor smell can ruin your beer. it probably won't, but, would you rather spend another $15 on a new bucket or waste a $30 batch of beer as well as the weeks waiting for it to be done, only to have it taste like a bandaid.

i'd get a new bucket and some star san.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
eelpout
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwaterbrewer View Post
i would throw the bucket in the trash can. that iodophor smell can ruin your beer. it probably won't, but, would you rather spend another $15 on a new bucket or waste a $30 batch of beer as well as the weeks waiting for it to be done, only to have it taste like a bandaid.

i'd get a new bucket and some star san.
Nahh it will be alright. Geez when you milk cows you just dip everything in Iodophor and shake it a bit. Its still dripping with the stuff. A little smell aint gonna hurt nothing.

Quick Reply