Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > leaving Town, First Batch question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 03:57 AM   #1
Robinson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5
Default leaving Town, First Batch question

Brewed my first batch this afternoon. I have a question for all the experts. Since I brewed my first batch today (Thursday). I need to leave and go out of town next Saturday for 7 days. Can I rack to a secondary once fermentation has stopped) lets say next Thursday or Friday. Since I will be out of town for a week will it be ok till I get back on Feb 4 to bottle? Or is that bad to leave in fermentation mode for so long. The receipt only calls for 4-7 days in primary and says you may rack to secondary. After reading on this site (great by the way, very helpful members, thank you) it seems like it should not be a big deal, correct?????. My starting G today was 1.040 where it should be, and says in the next 3-7 days final G should be around 1.007. What if it reaches 1.007 by next Friday, should I just go ahead and bottle? Or can should I rack to make it better. Thank you in advance for the help.

__________________
Robinson is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 04:42 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,274
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

You should be able to rack to secondary in three to four days when the airlock activity slows to about a bubble per minute. After it's racked you can leave it for a while 4-6 weeks I'm told with no trouble. Don't rush the secondary, let it get nice and clear.

__________________

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Chairman Cheyco is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,598
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

With that low of a starting OG you should be ready to rack to secondary before next Saturday, but even if it's not it wouldn't be a problem to leave it in the primary for another week if necessary. The one thing I personally wouldn't do is bottle it after only one week, even if the SG has reached your target.

__________________

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

El Pistolero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
Robinson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5
Default

Thank you for the help. I think i will take a reading next week and then rack to secondary. Thank you so much for the help. I can't wait to try it out.

__________________
Robinson is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
dave-m
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: west haven,utah
Posts: 43
Default

I agree with El P. on the not bottling to soon. I learned the hard way. I got in a hurry about two months ago and bottled a porter that hadn't finished doing it's thing. I opened one four weeks later and poured it into a tall glass. Everything seemed fine for about 5 seconds.....then I experienced a trauma. The entire glass full turned to foam poured over the rim. After it settled there was only about 1" left in the bottom and that had turned flat. It was pretty tragic.

I let the bottles sit another 4 weeks and decided I better check one to see if they were near "bomb" stage yet. First cap I popped was like letting the air out of a tire. Huge amount of cO2 pressure. In less than one second I had a 15" high beer geyser. The whole bottle shot out as foam. Only about 1/2" liquid remained in the bottle. I went ahead and opened the rest of the batch and sent it on down the kitchen sink drain. Other than my two little boys getting some serious entertainment from the "volcanoes" the whole batch was wasted.

Lesson learned....Patience DOES matter in brewing.

__________________

Primary #1---Cream Stout
Primary #2---nada
Secondary---nada
Bottled:Better bitter brew

Amber Ale
Yeasty beast Heffeweizen

Kegging system is on the way!!

dave-m is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Effect of leaving a batch in primary for over 60 days? chumprock General Beer Discussion 5 08-10-2009 08:50 PM
Question for you Chi-town guys Pumbaa General Chit Chat 2 02-28-2009 11:12 PM
Need advice-leaving town for work JBrady Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 09-14-2008 11:20 AM
leaving town with two in primary henrychinaski All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 06-12-2008 01:06 AM
Leaving town for awhile... do I brew?! dblvsn All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 04-07-2007 09:29 PM



Newest Threads