The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Leaving hops in while the wort was chilling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
cox8611
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It's different. Dryhopping has a different hops flavor/aroma while the flame out hops have a more solid hops flavor behind it, if that makes sense. I recirculate during the cooling and that makes the flame out hops sit in 130-150 degree wort for about 15 minutes.
Another great technique is Hop Bursting. Cut all your flavor and aroma additions and combine them at the end of the boil. cut the flame out after 60 minutes and add your hops. Let them steep for 20-30 minutes without actively cooling the wort, then cool it as quickly as possible. The aroma and flavor are really dialed WAY up. Also remember that the quicker the temperature comes down during the chilling stage, the more flavor and aroma and less excess bitterness will be added to the finished beer. Flavor and aroma compounds are volatile and are driven off by high temperatures, but alpha-acids are isomerized, imparting more bitterness.

Primary: Black Storm Ryesing (CPA),
Bottled: Tri-fecta Tripel (8/2010), Aficiando Smoked Bourbon Brown, MurphRYE's Pale Ale
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Winter Wheat
R.I.P: Dr. Suess's "Green Hops and Rye" Pale Ale Murphy's Law IPA, Honey-do Hefe 2.0, Power of Pine-Sol, Rob's Brown Ale, Wolfpacker's Wheaties II
Project(s) Completed: Cooler Mash Tun (dual-braid), Kegerator, Keggle Conversion, 50' Immersion Chiller.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
boomtown25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dare I bring up the dreaded word of brewing, but squeezing a bag of hops AFTER reaching pitching temp sounds like the making of a possible contamination- that is unless you are super steralized or using utensils that are. I just use the pellets, no bag, so I don't worry about this having to be done.

PRIMARY 4: EMPTY
BOTTLED: Caribou Slobber 6/9/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Bavarian Hefweizen 6/15/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Warrior IPA 6/23/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Dunkelweizen PM 6/30/11
BOTTLED: Amarillo IPA 7/26/11
ON DECK: APA or Centennial Blonde

Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
NWAleDad
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This thought has already crossed my mind. We are extremely sterile and careful with our extraction process. Gloves, hairnets, utensils soaked in starsan...There is always some level of inherent risk with this process, but I feel that the juice IS worth the squeeze....literally

Quick Reply