Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Leaving beer in secondary for too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Huntmaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Leaving beer in secondary for too long?

I brewed my second beer, the Smashing Pumpkin Ale from NB, a few weeks ago. I racked it into secondary and added about a teaspoon an a half of pumpkin pie spice. It's been sitting in there for close to 3 weeks now, since I don't have enough bottles left over from my first brew to bottle it all. Would this be a problem? I know you're not supposed to dry hop for more than a week, but would leaving pumpkin pie spice in too long be a problem as well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
jknapp12105
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
I brewed my second beer, the Smashing Pumpkin Ale from NB, a few weeks ago. I racked it into secondary and added about a teaspoon an a half of pumpkin pie spice. It's been sitting in there for close to 3 weeks now, since I don't have enough bottles left over from my first brew to bottle it all. Would this be a problem? I know you're not supposed to dry hop for more than a week, but would leaving pumpkin pie spice in too long be a problem as well?
The flavors will be just more robust. I think it will be awesome.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

In most cases there's really no such thing as "leaving a beer in secondary too long." The purpose of a secondary is to bulk condition/clear. Depending on the gravity beer's can be left in secondary for years. For example I have a 17% abv barleywine that sat in secondary for close to 2 years and is now in an oak barrel. It won't even be consumed for another 2.5 years.

You'll find that often the longer you condition beers, the better they will be. Especially higher gravity ones, and things like Pumpkin beers with a lot of stuff going on, that you want the flavors to come together.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply