Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Leaving beer in primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
xxHelderxx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Leaving beer in primary

Hi everyone, I'm on my 2nd AG batch of beer and I ran into some issues.

Background:

Brewing an Arrogant Bastard clone- Target OG 1.084, Actual OG 1.074

I brew at a friends house and stayed there overnight. My fermentation started WAY too hot, at about 80 degrees in the morning when I checked on it (about 8 hours after pitching) It was going nuts, I had to transport it from where I brewed to my apt, which agitated the fermentation and got it going nuts. When I got it to my apt, I cooled it down to about 72 degrees and acitivity in the airlock slowly subsided. After about 2 days, I was seeing no activity at all, and no foam krausen on top of the beer. I took a hydrometer reading and it appeared as though I still had some sugar left, so I added some yeast re-energizer and gave it a good stir to try and get the yeast back into suspension.

2 days later and the beer is producing what smells like a very alcoholic scent. Before adding re-energizer, the smell was distinctly hoppy. There are some bubbles on top so I think there MAY be some activity, I want to give it a few days before I take my 2nd hydrometer reading.

Ok so here's my question- I've heard/read varying things in regards to leaving beer sit on a yeast cake when its done fermenting. I'm thinking of leaving it on there for a week or so because I've heard that it can clean out some of the unwanted byproducts of fermentation. However, I've also heard that you risk off flavors resulting from autolysis.

How do I know where I stand?

Thanks for any help guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 88

as I have read in how to brew, it takes like 6 months in primary to produce off flavors

Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
xxHelderxx
Recipes 

Right, I saw a quote on a thread in here somewhere that leaving your beer on the yeast can help clear up some off flavors and improve clarity. Any idea where this alcohol scent might be coming from? Probably because of a rapid fermentation right? I know you risk other types of alcohol being produced. Are these the types of things that would be cleared up by leaving the beer in primary?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Dont worry about autolysis there's mulitple threads on it and at the homebrew level it isn't something to loose sleep over.

With such a high OG I would let it sit in primary for 2-3 weeks. Keep your temps around 68 as much as you can. With such a high OG time is going to be your friend.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

autolysis is pretty much the boogeyman of brewing- people barely see it. Leave it on the cake for a while (a month total)- its a big beer and the yeast need time to clean up. Fermentation that hot will produce alot of fussel alcohols which will need time to mellow. Most of my primarys which are higher gravity sit for a month in primary and the flavors are much better. If you leave it for a month you will have a much clearer beer at bottling time!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

THere's at least one thread a day on this topic....if you do a search for "long primary" or "no secondary" you will find the info....

Here's one of the many discussions, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/rack...stions-119918/

And this post discuss the autloysis bogeyman http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1334844-post25.html

Rather than re-invent the wheel again today, take a read.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
xxHelderxx
Recipes 

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated

Old 05-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Man I love me some Arrogant Bastard Ale...Haven't done a clone of it yet.

Have you considered splitting the batch after fermentation and oaking half of it in secondary? I love AB...but I would MARRY Oaked AB, if it had bewbies!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Have you considered splitting the batch after fermentation and oaking half of it in secondary? I love AB...but I would MARRY Oaked AB, if it had bewbies!
+1 BILLION!!!!! I have had the oaked bastard right from Stone on tap and it is INCREDIBLE. And it'll **** you up quick

Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
+1 BILLION!!!!! I have had the oaked bastard right from Stone on tap and it is INCREDIBLE. And it'll **** you up quick
OH, you've had it on tap?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Someday, I'll be so lucky!!

Quick Reply