Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Leaving beer on gelatine too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
zickefoose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Leaving beer on gelatine too long?

Is there a length of time I should leave my beer on gelatine to clarify it?

I have a bock that is ready but I want to clear it up a bit (forgot to add my moss in the boil). So I thought I'd put it on jello until I kick my keg, the only issue is my keg won't be kicked for another month (atleast). Is there any issue of leaving beer on jello for too long?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The gelatine being in the beer won't hurt it. However if you do it in the keg, you will gelatine and yeast that settles out on the bottom of the keg and may draw some up when you tap it. It will be sort of gelatinous and yeasty. Some people who use gelatine in the keg shorten or bend the dip tube by an inch or so to keep it above the level of the fallout. I would think that after a bit though the area around the dip tube will be clear and as long as you don't disturb the keg you shouldn't get to much more coming out in the tap.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
mlg5039
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What he said.

But you could always kick that keg a little quicker ;-)

It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

Primary:BCS Clone
Secondary:Oud bruin (2), Raspberry melomel
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Imperial Punkin
Kegged: Wild Ale, Dark Mild
Gallons to date 2012: 47

Quick Reply