Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Leaving beer behind with your yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Leaving beer behind with your yeast?

Here's why you should primary longer than your kit's directions or the guy at the LHBS say.
chocolate-yeast-cake.jpg
This was what was left behind when I racked off my double chocolate oatmeal stout. Even with 9oz of cocoa powder, that's about a half inch at the bottom. I was able to get almost every little bit of beer off the top of it, leaving maybe 2 ounces behind.

How?
Almost a month in primary and using a flocculent yeast; in this case S-04.

Airlock stop bubbling already? Leave it alone!

Hydrometer says you're at your FG? Leave it alone!

Just leave it alone!

Not only will the yeast clean up after themselves and get rid of some of the possible off flavors, but you get a nice, compact yeast cake that you can suck the beer right off of. Don't waste a 6-pack in the primary because it's sitting with a cloud of yeast at the bottom!

This public service announcement was brought to you by a grant from The Leave It Alone Foundation and this station.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Very nice. I love a nice tight yeast cake. Thanks for posting -- I was just thinking this same thing a few days ago when I racked (after 3-4 weeks on the primary).

Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
bgough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hotbreak hotel...LOL...What a great name.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Yup S-04 always looks that way to me. Great yeast, won't even get disturbed much when racking. Sometimes it turns into this jelly like cake.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just racked an Oatmeal Stout off of it's S-04 yeast cake not 10-minutes ago...mine sat for 3.5 weeks at 59 degrees......I could have taken an identical picture.

Man, S-04 makes a large cake though......even though I had close to 5.5 gallons in the fermentor, I got only 4.5 or so into the secondary......kind of bummed me out to see that, but oh well......

Old 04-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

S-05 gave me the same thing too. Always makes me sad when I hear about people leaving a gallon or more behind.

I also still secondary, even though I'll primary for a month. That way, even if I suck up a little bit off the bottom, I'll give it a week or two in secondary for that bit to settle back out.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a very similar cake on my California Common (I used Saflager yeast). It was a kit with instructions to bottle it after 2 weeks I think. It had finished fermenting at day 7, but I let it sit in the primary for four weeks total before bottling it. Another 3 weeks in the bottles to carb and condition, at a minimum. At the end, it's probably going to be an 8 week old beer, minimum, before I have my first sip.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Entirely correct. Most ferments, the cake compacts to 1/3 the volume if you wait an extra two weeks. That's 4-5 pints in my book.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Great job 'cat.

That's something I tell those new brewers who complain about sediment/yest in their bottles...I get very little yeast sediment in my bottles, and they cab perfectly fine. My beer is very very clear.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I use a 10 gallon primary with just a lid, no airlock...how long is it safe to leave my beer in there for? My first couple of batches I have racked to the primary at five days or so. Also, will leaving my beer in the primary longer have any effect on my plans to re-pitch (Wyeast 1084)?

Quick Reply