Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Leaf hops vs. Pellet hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
Dave the Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Leaf hops vs. Pellet hops

I'm going to start a brew this week using leaf hops for the first time. Whats the difference as far as hopping technique, or what will I do different from when I was using pellets. Is there a difference in taste, anything? Give me the pros and cons of leaf hops and pellet hops!! I'm looking at the leaf hops, I just want to tear the bag open and smell!!!!
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
covered95
Recipes 

Did you use a hop bag of some sort when you used pellets. If not you might want to as it will keep a lot of the leaf hops together and make straining the wort easier.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:09 AM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I made the switch about 6 months ago. The key consideration is adjusting your hop amounts to get the right IBUs (1oz pellets does not equal 1 oz whole leaf). If you've made the right conversion, just throw them in per your hopping schedule, there is no special technique, just throw them in.

The other thing to keep in mind is that leaf hops absorb more water during the boil, so you may need a larger pre-boil wort to end up with the same batch size.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
Dave the Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
I made the switch about 6 months ago. The key consideration is adjusting your hop amounts to get the right IBUs (1oz pellets does not equal 1 oz whole leaf). If you've made the right conversion, just throw them in per your hopping schedule, there is no special technique, just throw them in.
I never learned how to get my desired IBUs, so a conversion is from another world. I just compare to different recipes and styles to figure out my hop schedule. Does it take more leaf hops to get the same IBU as pellets with with same AA.

How do I figure out what my IBUs will be with blank amount of hops and blank AA percentages?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesbrew85
I never learned how to get my desired IBUs, so a conversion is from another world. I just compare to different recipes and styles to figure out my hop schedule. Does it take more leaf hops to get the same IBU as pellets with with same AA.

How do I figure out what my IBUs will be with blank amount of hops and blank AA percentages?
It takes slightly more leaf hops to get the same IBUs as pellets but I am not sure of the exact conversion factor. I'd recommend downloading some brewing software (ProMash has a free trial, Beersmith might as well) to use when developing your own recipes.

It's not a huge difference so you'd probably be okay with a 1-1 substitution, but you might notice a difference.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 12-19-2007, 01:19 AM   #6
MikeInCtown
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, how odd this question came up as I just stopped by the LHBS and they only had leaf hops in my variety. I only needed 1.5oz and got 2 total, so I hope that I got enough.

Bottled - Continental Pilsner, Island Mist Mango Citrus, Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz
Up next - AH Foster's clone, Labatt's clone, Hard Apple Cider,
The Independence Street Brew House

Old 12-19-2007, 01:36 AM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

It shoud be unless the AA% is way off. The amount is only about 10% difference in weight. 1.5 oz of pellets might require 1.625 oz or maybe up to 1.75 oz of leaf if the AA% is about the same.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 12-19-2007, 03:29 AM   #8
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 for BrewSmith, add about 10% to your pellet spec to figure out how much leaf hops to buy.

I find leaf hops leave fewer particles on the floor of the bottle, but someone else posted it first. I like the flavor of leaf hops a little better, but I can't prove why.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
Dave the Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter
I find leaf hops leave fewer particles on the floor of the bottle, but someone else posted it first. I like the flavor of leaf hops a little better, but I can't prove why.
Awesome... these are the things I was hoping to hear. Thanks for all the info guys. Unfortunately I'm probably not going to get to brew this week, my girl friend has family coming in so I have to socialize. But after that

Old 12-20-2007, 01:29 AM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Can someone explain why an 1oz of leaf hops isn't the same as an ounce of pellet hops?
is there something different about the processing of pellet hops, that you get more bang per ounce?

I'm not saying you're not correct...I just wanna know why. I never fell for the question "which is heavier, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers", and since we're not talking about volume of hops...

I'm just curious and my Palmer book is all the way upstairs.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply