Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lautering

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Sillflu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lautering

So I may be stupid but I am getting confused when it comes to lautering.
First lets assume I want to brew a five gallon batch of beer and I want to use an igloo style water cooler for mashing /lautering. Do I then need a 7 gallon cooler?
Second do I only use the first few quarts of run off for recirculation and then add new water to finish lautering?
That is where I a, getting lost because I am reading to use 1.5 times as water to lauter as I used to mash but wouldnt that give me 12 gallons. So should I be mashing with less or lautering with less? Like I said I may be stupid but I am definitely confused.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 890 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1957

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/ is a good piece for the beginning all-grain brewer. So is this http://www.suebob.com/index.php?opti...id=7&Itemid=62 there is an all-grain primer here

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

This post tells you everything you need to know about how big you should make your mash/lauter tun:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-...-needs-123585/

Second, yes, recirculating (vorlauf) is usually done a few quarts at a time until there are not a lot of grain particles coming out in your wort. Once you aren't getting particles, you can just run off the wort into your kettle.

As for your question about lautering, I believe you're actually asking about sparging. Sparging is when you add new water to "rinse" the grain of all available sugar - lautering is actually the entire process of draining wort (which includes recirculating/vorlauf, runoff, and sparging).

As for how much you should be sparging with, I'm still new to all grain brewing so I use calculators. There are a number of great tools online that will calculate how much volume of water to mash with and how much volume to sparge with. There are lots of newbie-friendly recipes out there that will do the same thing, but remember that YMMV depending on your equipment.

Good luck and have fun!

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Last edited by shawnbou; 03-02-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: big typo

Old 03-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Sillflu
Recipes 

Thanks those helped a tun ha. So yeah I had my terminology mixed, I said I was stupid.

Quick Reply