Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Late LME addition time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Boondoggie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Late LME addition time?

I just brewed NB's Phat Tyre kit, and it was my first time doing a late extract addition...

Now, I killed the flame with 18 minutes remaining, added the LME, and restarted the fire and added the 15min hops...

It took me a good 5 minutes to get a rolling boil again. (SP10 burner, 8gallon alum pot) Do I care? Should I start the 15min from the time it's boiling again, or be happy with 10min of rolling boil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I pause my timer when I pull my pot off the heat to add my LME, and don't restart it until I reach a boil again. I think that's SOP for late extract additions. So, if I have a 15 min hop addition, I would either toss them in before removing from the flame, or add them when I reach boil again and then start my timer back up.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 05-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
gimmebeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggie View Post
I just brewed NB's Phat Tyre kit, and it was my first time doing a late extract addition...

Now, I killed the flame with 18 minutes remaining, added the LME, and restarted the fire and added the 15min hops...

It took me a good 5 minutes to get a rolling boil again. (SP10 burner, 8gallon alum pot) Do I care? Should I start the 15min from the time it's boiling again, or be happy with 10min of rolling boil?
You should be fine at 10 minutes. Palmer in his How to Brew book talks about adding the last of the extract with 5 minutes to go, I think.

Quick Reply