Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Late extract and hops question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
JMU_Alumn08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Late extract and hops question.

So if I choose to do a late extract addition, say with 30 minutes left in the boil, but the bittering hops obviously need to be added before, all I have boiling is hops and water? Thats ok, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's a good question that I'd like to know the answer to as well. I always assumed that late extract addition meant that you'd add a part of the extract up front, then add the second part "late" in the boil (not all at once late in the boil). But look at my number of posts: what the hell do I know...?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I can't find the BYO article on this but here is another from beersmith Better Beer with Late Malt Extract Additions

Reason: spelling

Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
DuckAssassin
Recipes 

You need to add some of the extract at the beginning, bring back to a boil, and then start your hop schedule. I don't know why technically, but I believe that proper utilization of the hops requires some extract. Most people add half at the beginning and half either with 10-15 minutes remaining, or at flame-out waiting 10 minutes before cooling to allow the extract to pasturize. But you could probably get away with less than half depending on your boil size and the total amount of extract you are using.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Add 25-30% of your extract up front. Add the rest late (I usually do it @15minutes to go).

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
ericm
Recipes 

it's not necessary to be this exact about it, but the general idea with a late extract addition is to have a 'normal' gravity during most of the boil (ie, the same gravity you'd have if you were doing a full volume boil); so if you're doing a 5 gallon batch and will be ending the boil with 2.5 gallons (which you'd top up with 3.5 gallons of water); then you'd want to add half of your extract. if you're ending the boil with 1.5 gallons, then you'd add 30% of your extract; etc.

but like I said, you don't really need to be that exact; so anything from 25-50% in the beginning is probably fine.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What if you do a partial mash with 3ish lbs of grain. Should you still add some of the extract early or is the mash liquor enough?

My Beer Cellar

Quick Reply