Late extract additions and flavor/aroma of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of recipes call for late extract additions at 15 minutes, but many people say you can add the late extract addition at flameout. Anyone know how this affects flavor and aroma of the hops added late in the boil? I know it increases the the IBUs, but could it result in there not being enough material to "hold" the flavor when hop bursting?

The 15 minute addition is a flavor addition. Anything after the five minute mark is the aroma addition. Not many ibu's contribute to late additions. Bitterness needs time to be isomerized.

I think Trev is a little confused; probably sampling some of his excellent HB.

Late extract additions have no effect on flavor or aroma additions ...... well, no-one has yet published a study that shows there is a difference.

Late extract malt additions effect flavor insomuch as not being caramelized & darkening the color as well. They keep the colors light,the flavors of the malt remain as they should be. I do this myself.
I usually use 3lbs of plain DME with pre-hopped LME,which is bittered only. I then use half the DME (1.5lbs) in the boil to do hop additions of 20mins,10mins,& 10 mins at flame out. It puts the hop flavors "on the back" so the malt can shine through. After the steep,add remaining DME & the LME. Works real well for good color & flavor complexities.

I think Trev is a little confused; probably sampling some of his excellent HB.

Late extract additions have no effect on flavor or aroma additions ...... well, no-one has yet published a study that shows there is a difference.

I agreed with trevorc13 at first, until I re-read the OP and noticed he was talking about extract, not hops. :confused:

-a.

Extract is extract, regardless of when you add it in.

Not quite. Yes,it's still extract,but it depends on how you utilize it that makes the difference. Some award winning beers have been all extract. I think I'm finally getting the knack of it. It's seems to be all about timing & utilization with extracts.
Many say extracts are easy & not as good as AG,etc. I say,it depends on how you use it. Check out my Sunset Gold APA in the recipe:mug: section sometime & find out. It's bloody good,m8.

Stupid hb!!!! I had hops on my mind. Disregard. LOL! I saw late addition, flameout, and ibu and I missed everything else. Sorry about that.

Back