Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Late extract addition and larger boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
hurleyps
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Late extract addition and larger boil

Just got into all this and am loving everything. I want to brew the AHS Belgian Wheat. I have two questions.

1. What is the benefit of doing late extract addition? When and how much should I add late?

2. I can't do a full boil yet, (hopefully I'll get a bigger brew kettle soon!) Should I stick to a 2 gallon boil or should I boil as much as I can? (I can fit about 4 gallons and still avoid a boil over)

I know these issues have probably been addresses hundreds of times, thanks for supporting the new guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

1. Late addition of your malt extract will give you a lighter color for your finished beer. Add about 3/4 or 2/3 when you have about 15 minutes left in the boil.

2. Boil as much as possible I would say. Partial boils impose limits as to how well the hops can be utilized and possibly have other effects as well.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-kind-r-value-ferm-chamber-190459/

Old 04-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
hurleyps
Recipes 

Great. Thank You. That definitely helps. I'm learning.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
BeerSmith
BeerSmith Author, Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Here's an article I threw together several weeks ago if you want to learn more about late extract additions.

A larger boil is almost always better.

Cheers!
Brad

Old 04-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
hurleyps
Recipes 

Just read the article. Thank You. Are there any types of beer that you would not want to do a late extract addition?

One more question.

Does anyone know any tricks for marking gallon increments on a glass carboy? (Again, I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find a great answer!)

Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Liquidicem
I love lamp!

Recipes 

Try a paint pen or nail polish for marking the carboy.

Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply