Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Late DME addition...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
OrvilleOrdinary
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Late DME addition...

What does this achieve?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Less caramelization, which will in turn make your color lighter. I think there's some benefit to adding a small amount at the beginning of the boil to improve hops utilization, but most of it can be added late.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You also want to keep in mind if you are using a pre-hopped DME, then your IBUs will be different (usually higher) if you add the DME late in the boil.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
OrvilleOrdinary
Recipes 

So it mostly effects color? What about flavor and body?

(I wouldn't be using the pre-hopped stuff)

Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do not believe it does anything to flavor, or body.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It helps with color, but lots of people who use extract find that it also helps reduce the 'twang' that you can get from using extract. I think the basic idea is that since extract has been 'cooked' once, much of the sugar has been converted. This means when you add it to your 60 minute boil, the sugars are basically being cooked again and thus you run the risk of caramelizing the sugars. If this happens the sugars wont be converted by the yeast, effecting the flavor because it will lend a sweet/burnt flavor to your beer.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Extract beers by nature are darker that their all grain counterparts, it's inherent in the creation of the extract itself, especially liquid.

So late extract addition lessens the risk of carmalization.

Add only approximately 2-3 pounds of your extract in the beginning of the boil to isomerize the alpha acids of the hops, and add the remaining bulk of the extract in the last 15 minutes to steralize it. This keeps the extract from further carmelizing during the boil and darkening further.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Tweaker
Recipes 

I thought the LME was what you should leave until the last 15 mins, not the DME. I did that.

Then I started another wheat extract kit, and other than the hops, there is only the two cans of LME (+ the brew vint Alc boost I add).

Now what am I boiling and why? Only thing in the pot for the 1st 15 -45 minutes would be hops. That McCAIN'T be right!

Sincerely,
Noob Ignoranus, desperately clawing my way out of the primorial ooze of my own inexperience to beervana

Old 11-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
I thought the LME was what you should leave until the last 15 mins, not the DME. I did that.

Then I started another wheat extract kit, and other than the hops, there is only the two cans of LME (+ the brew vint Alc boost I add).

Now what am I boiling and why? Only thing in the pot for the 1st 15 -45 minutes would be hops. That McCAIN'T be right!

Sincerely,
Noob Ignoranus, desperately clawing my way out of the primorial ooze of my own inexperience to beervana
I believe since ALL extracts regardless of liquid or dry were BOILED already then it's best not to add to the carmelization factor... DME is LME that has been dried in a specialy way....so it's cooked down wort first...

With 2 canned kits I would usually add the first can for hop utilization, and the second one later...You won't get proper hops utilization boiling them just in water.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 11-10-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply