Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Late addition and boil over

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
s2cmpugh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Late addition and boil over

Good day everyone. I've been using the late addition method, but have problems with continuous boil overs after I add the last malt extract. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Cris P.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2cmpugh View Post
Good day everyone. I've been using the late addition method, but have problems with continuous boil overs after I add the last malt extract. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Cris P.
Use a bigger pot?

You could try a few drops of fermcap-S to help control boilovers. Or turn down the heat until it stops foaming up (that might be a while!). Or add the extract at flame out, so boil overs won't happen.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2260 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

I do 2.5G in a 5G ss stock pot. I add 1.5lbs of DME to it to do my hop additions. It doesn't foam up that much. The only time it foams like that is when we steep grains 1st,then add the DME(s). It usually foams about 3 minutes before dissipating. But the bigger pot def helps. You just have to stir like mad to keep it down for that 3 minutes.

Quick Reply