Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Last Two Batches Are Skunked

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

can you pour one of your bottles, let it warm and degas and take a gravity reading?

like Revvy said, many times new brewers are anxious to try their beer, drink a bottle of green beer and get overly worried. most infections will cause your beer to continue to ferment down near 1.002 or lower. if the gravity is stable and on par with the gravity at bottling time, it's doubtfully infected. green beer can taste quite tart from the yeast still working on the priming sugar.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
BOBrob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Looking back on previous posts.... I would say give things more time. Sounds like sour, green beer. You can hit your gravity in a short time ,but the yeast has to clean up to make decent brew.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Since you're just starting in brewing, knowing how to describe the flavors of your beer is really helpful to the more experienced brewers on this site. Here's the classic wheel of flavors:
BT - An Introduction to Sensory Analysis {flavorwheel]

And a page which attempts to explain how to use it:
BT - An Introduction to Sensory Analysis

I've had to do tastings of my questionable beers with this printed out in front of me, and it's really helped.

Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Old 12-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBrob View Post
Looking back on previous posts.... I would say give things more time. Sounds like sour, green beer. You can hit your gravity in a short time ,but the yeast has to clean up to make decent brew.
Thats a good point, Acetalaldeyde (Green apple/ jolly rancher flavor) can come a cross a sour note. I learned this in my BJCP prep class the other day that Bud light has a good amount of acetalaldehyde in it. A good test might be to get a bud light, and give it a good smell and taste. It comes on very strong the first taste. Think about green apples or green apple jolly ranchers, and it will be easy to pick up on.

If this is the sour flavor you are getting it is likely what Bob is talking about, beer that was racked off the yeast cake a little too early and is a little young.

One thing to taste for if you have an infected batch is Diacetyl, butter flavor or the feeling of a slick coating on your tongue. Souring bacterea like pediococcus or lactobacillus will produce a lot of diacetyl so if you have an infection with a souring bacteria you should detect diacetyl's presence in the beer.

Quick Reply