Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > last minute fermentation re-start

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Krausen could have fallen through and disrupted the surface tension holding the CO2 down. Likely just off-gassing.

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

People have run into it before. Off-gasing due to minor temperature or pressure changes or looking cross eyed at the beer is not uncommon.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Give it another gravity reading after a while and you will know what's up. Hopefully it is stable. If it has dropped like a stone, you may have more to worry about.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
ding_brew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

3 days later and gravity is at 1.004. It doesn't taste like vinegar so I'm going to risk it and bottle. It's still bubbling every 34 seconds or so but I guess I will risk it. Any recommendations on if I should go with the standard 5oz or should I do less?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

So, you're saying it has dropped a couple of points over the last few days? I'd give it another reading in a couple of days. If it stabilizes, you're probably fine, but if's it's still giong down, I'd be a bit concerned that there is more than just your normal yeast activity going on there.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ding_brew View Post
I'm hoping its done too but I don't want to risk any bombs. I am surprised no one has run into this before.

I ran into this on my last two batches. OG's of 1.060 and 1.070. They stopped bubbling after 5 days and I measured them both at 1.010 on day 7. I swirled the buckets and they both bubbled slowly for the next 4 days. Moved them to secondary on day 15. Am in no hurry to bottle them...two more weeks and then I'll bottle.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #17
ding_brew
Recipes 

Ok will wait 2 more days. I have never had a beer go below 1.008 before but although it tastes pretty dry, it doesn't taste bad at all. It feels like its going to need a few extra weeks in the bottle. Maybe I over pitched when I did my starter? I did let it go for 2 days in the stir plate.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ding_brew View Post
Ok will wait 2 more days. I have never had a beer go below 1.008 before but although it tastes pretty dry, it doesn't taste bad at all. It feels like its going to need a few extra weeks in the bottle. Maybe I over pitched when I did my starter? I did let it go for 2 days in the stir plate.
I brewed a cream ale recipe from Listermann's last month. OG at 1.045, finished at 1.000, very dry in the hydrometer flask. In the bottle at two weeks - not dry like the hydrometer, turned out excellent.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 12-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
ding_brew
Recipes 

After 3 weeks it never stopped fully bubbling. It was more spread out. About every minute. I managed to get a consistent gravity of 1.004 after 2 days of waiting so I bottled with DME and will leave it alone for at least 3 weeks. Thanks every one for your input. I have never experienced a start-stop-start of fermentation.

Quick Reply