Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Last 3 beers, same taste.. BAD!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

OneStep got me at first, too. It "says" it's a sanitizer as well as a cleaner. I call bull****. It's expensive up front, but like COLO said, buy a small bottle of Star-San. Mix a very small amount with a quart of water and put it in a good quality spray bottle. Spray the mixture on frickin' everything which comes within 30' of the kettle and bucket! Make sure that you're sanitizing the insides of tubing, as well as racking canes, auto-siphons, and the bottling bucket valve.

Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
mimus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I had a very similar experience that turned out to be an infection. Neither One Step nor StarSan could completely sterilize my plastic equipment. Throw out all the plastic on your cold side - not just buckets, but racking equipment and tubing too. You can try boiling the small bits like airlocks, but they may melt. It's no fun, but replacing your fermenting equipment should cost less than one ruined batch of beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply