Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Largest extract boil volume in a 7.5 gal pot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Maddoghoek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Largest extract boil volume in a 7.5 gal pot?

I've been stalking for a while, love the knowledge here.

So I was wondering what people would consider the largest 'safe' amount of extract you can boil in a 7.5 gal pot? I'm looking for a final volume of 5 gal but I've been told by my LBS that 3 gal is probably the most I want to boil to avoid a boil-over. Seems a bit low to me, and I want to see how close to a full boil I can get to. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I normally do 4-4.5 gal in a 7gal pot and don't boil over. It has taken some practice to "see" the boil over coming and turn the heat to nearly off( and sometimes off by accident). Once I start the boil I don't turn my back because the moment I do it will start boiling over. I think next brew I will do a full 5 gal and risk it.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Using "fermcap S" you can likely boil 6.5 gallons. Just be very paitient and approach boiling slowly, and keep a glass of cool water, or a spray bottle of water handy to knock the boil down if it gets violent.

Another thing you could try is to start w/ five gallons, and top up the kettle w/ additional water as you boil off to end at 5 gallons. This might be easier.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
SamHain
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have a 7.5g pot and I safely do 5g no problem. Though I'm limited to 5g boils because that's all my stovetop can handle. Anything more I can't get a good boil.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Maddoghoek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I haven't tested the limit of my stove yet. It's not a commercial unit but it's propane at least. I'll do a dry run and see how long it takes me to boil 5 gal. Good way to check my boil-off too I guess.

The one thing I find the most confusing so far is the large discrepancies between beer calculators. Trying to hit a target IBU based on boil volume, but i'm not sure if Tastybrew.com takes boil-off into the calcs. If I use brewtarget I get totally different numbers.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 799

I just did my 1st brew last weekend in a 7.5 Gal pot.

I handled 5Gal just fine w/ no boil overs or really anything close to it throughout the whole day.

Ended up with a shade under 4.5 Gal after a 60min boil ----Next brew I'll push it up close to 6 I think.

Just my $.02 from a rookie

Untapped

Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Using "fermcap S" you can likely boil 6.5 gallons.
This is what I did for years with my turkey fryer kettle and fermcap. 6-6.5 gallon pre-boil volume, 2 drops fermcap/gallon.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
cricky101
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I do 6.5 gallons in my 7.5 turkey fryer pot but it gets a little dangerous. I use Fermcap and a spray bottle or use the lid to fan the foam as it gets to the top. Haven't had a boil over yet but I don't get far from the pot, either.

Edit: Not sure if it matters or not, but that is with all-grain brewing ...

-------------------
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Good thread Maddog. I was curious about this too since I was about to buy an 8gal pot and the difference between it and the 10gal is $14 (normal aluminum)...and I'm trying to keep this hobby as cheap as possible because of SWMBO.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #10
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I have a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot and did all my boils in it at 6.5 to start for a 5.25 fermenter amount. I had to start the boil very carefully but it was doable.

I now use 10 gallons for 7 gallon pre-boil amounts and feeling more safe I have gotten complacent and have had two boil overs in 4 batches!

Quick Reply