Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Large Yeat Cake - White Labs - Normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
newtomd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Large Yeat Cake - White Labs - Normal?

I brewed a standard IPA using White Labs California Ale. Typically, I have used Wyeast or dry yeast.

It was in the primary for 10 days and appeared fully fermented as the foam had went down and final gravity matched the recipe target. However, when I racked in to a secondary, the yeast cake on the botom was huge (almost a full gallon according to the measurements on the side of my brewing bucket).

I feel like I lost some volume from my final product due to large yeast cake and the liquid contained within. I never have this problem before with any other brew (about 15 batches).

Is this expansive yeast cake normal? Does WHite Labs typcially result in larger yeast cakes? Is there something that I could have done wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There really isn't a normal in brewing, every fermentation is different, as is the size of the yeast cakes. SOme yeast produce more, some less, the size also can be a result of the grainbill, there could be proteins and other stuff that cause more than if you patched the same yeast in a different recipe.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply