New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lagering temps???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
akthor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Default Lagering temps???

Today I bought a Black Lager kit. I assumed it was an Ale like the Octoberfest kit I bought. No this is a true Lager, comes with lager yeast and lagering temps in the instructions. So what happens if I ferment at my normal 60 F?

Next week the cooler I use to carb my kegs with frozen bottles of H20 in H20 would be free. Should I wait and use that to get the fermenter down to true Lagering temps? And if so how long do I gotta keep the temps down for?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Lagers should ferment around 50 F. I like to keep it there for at least two weeks. After that it gets chilled, or depending on my pipeline, it might sit in the low 60's for a couple weeks until space frees up in my lagering chamber.

Primary: Ger. Pils , OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison
Brewing soon: light beer - yes, light beer, Saison
Recently kicked : ( Kolsch, IPA, Holiday Saison, Baltic porter,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 09-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, the fermentation won't be too bad, but most lagering phases take about 2-3 months and should be appx. 10 degrees cooler than fermentation.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This may be helpful:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-5.html

60F is awfully high for primary lager before lagering. It will possibly ferment at 60F but it will not taste what it is supposed to at all!

Old 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
akthor
Recipes 

So with the ice bath I should be able to keep the temp at 50 or lower. So itshould be fermented at 50 for two week then it should be taken lower? Should I transfer to a secondary after two weeks or leave it in primary? I should be able to pick up a used fridge before the 2 weeks is up and then move it to colder than 50 degrees.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
So with the ice bath I should be able to keep the temp at 50 or lower. So itshould be fermented at 50 for two week then it should be taken lower? Should I transfer to a secondary after two weeks or leave it in primary? I should be able to pick up a used fridge before the 2 weeks is up and then move it to colder than 50 degrees.
Actually, for me primary fermentation on lagers takes about 4 weeks, sometimes more (I ferment at ~46F), then we do a diacetyl rest usually for a week (~68F), then its down to ~36F for lagering up to 3 mo's, again you should probably read up on lagers, here's another link to palmers book and specifically to starters/diacetyl rests for lagers: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-4.html

Brew on

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Never rely on a calendar to guide your ferments. Yeast can't read.

Your yeast will guide you. They communicate with you through your hydrometer. I find most of my lagers - I brew Classic American Pilsner, mostly, with an OG ~1.048 - take at least two weeks in primary, then a few days diacetyl rest, then a couple months of lagering. I use my hydrometer to see when the primary ferment is complete by taking hydrometer readings, cross-referencing the reading with the apparent attenuation I can expect from my yeast (plus past experience with my "house" lager yeast strain), and the length of time I've recorded from past batches.

Cheers,

Bob

Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
akthor
Recipes 

Yikes well I didnt expect this to be so complicated. I may look into turning this kit into an ale?? Do I just need a different yeast? I really think I need refridgeration of some sort in place before I attempt something this complex.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
Yikes well I didnt expect this to be so complicated. I may look into turning this kit into an ale?? Do I just need a different yeast? I really think I need refridgeration of some sort in place before I attempt something this complex.
Yes, if you make an ale you will want an ale yeast. Lagers aren't hard, but are definitely more temperature finicky. Usually, there is some required racking and lagering.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
akthor
Recipes 

If I had a fridge for brewing it would be a no brainer but I haven't gotten one yet.

Quick Reply