Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lagering Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Hurls
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lagering Temp

I'm in the middle of my first lagering attempt. Primary fermentation is complete and I have transfered to a secondary for 8-12 weeks of lagering. I have 2 questions on this process:

1) I'm having trouble getting my fridge to hold a temp in the low 30's. I'm using a temp controler, but when I set it to 34 degrees the fridge never gets down lower than 35 and to maintain that the compressor is running all the time. I don't want to burn out my fridge just trying to get 1 beer right.

Does any one have experience in lagering at temps just under 40 degrees (I can hold 37-39 without running all day long)? How did things turn out?

This is slightly higher that the 32-36 reccommended, but I think it will be ok. Does the slightly higher temp mean lagering with take longer / shorter?

2) I know I shouldn't rush the process, but I will want to free up some carboy space before the 12 week mark. Is it ok to transfer into a corny keg and finish the lagering there? I don't have the keg system yet, but I plan on getting one very soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

1) I lagered around 40 and had good results, but I made doppelbock, baltic porter, and schwartzbier, which I think would be more forgiving than if you have something lighter like a pilsner. But I understand even in theory 40 works. As far as it taking longer, I don't know for sure but I just think that whatever temperature you have it at you have to go by taste and not by the calendar.

2) It shouldn't make any difference at all.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Depending on the fridge, i'm assuming it's a mini fridge, you may be able to do better on the temp. Many have an adjustment (in the thermostat housing) that will make them go a lot colder.

Quick Reply