Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lagering Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
GrimyHoboSack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Lagering Questions

I brewed a Doppelbock several months ago and it's almost done lagering finally, this is my first lager so I have a couple questions.

First: How should I transfer the beer into a keg from the carboy it's lagering in?

The carboy is in a chest freezer, so it's probably only a few inches off the ground, so I'd probably need to move the carboy to siphon into the keg. If I move it to a higher location should I let it sit for a few days first so everything settles back out?

This will be my first time using a keg also, so is there a better way to transfer from a carboy to a keg than just racking with an auto-siphon like you'd do for a bucket to bucket transfer?

Second: The carboy the Doppebock is in has a decent amount of headspace that I didn't purge with CO2 or do anything to at all. Since this was my second brew and I didn't know as much then, I hadn't even considered the possibility of oxidation, but now I'm thinking I'll probably end up with oxidized cardboard bock out of this. Is that probably the case?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Auto siphn is great:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/5-16-auto-siphon.html

Check these links out also:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Racking
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Siphon

2. Many times I will ferment a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy. CO2 is heavier than O. Your yeast produces CO2, which will create a blanket on top of your beer. There is not much to worry about.

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Throw it on top of the chest freezer and siphon. Any sediment will settle back in the keg and come out with the first pint or two. Don't sweat the headspace.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
GrimyHoboSack
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've been using an auto-siphon to rack, but I was hoping that there might be some way that I wasn't thinking of to use a keg and CO2 to "push" the beer out of the carboy so I wouldn't have to move the carboy and disturb any sediment that had fallen out of suspension during lagering. I can't think of a way to make that work, but people here have done all sorts of clever things I wouldn't have thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
2. Many times I will ferment a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy. CO2 is heavier than O. Your yeast produces CO2, which will create a blanket on top of your beer. There is not much to worry about.
For fermenting that makes sense, but this is lagering after being racked from the primary bucket. I don't think very much new CO2 would have been produced, but maybe some came out of the liquid during racking or sitting.

I'm definitely kegging this either way, so this question is purely academic, I'll find out in a few weeks what the real answer is.

Quick Reply