The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lagering question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 01:07 AM   #1
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default Lagering question

My lager has been kept cold for the last 2+ weeks now by using first the cold weather (30s) and then by putting the carboy in a doubled up garbage can with a lid, and using ice bottles to keep it cold. This works OK until it gets warm outside, 60s this coming week, and then I can't keep up with the melting ice. I want to move on with this process.

I was thinking I could manage better with the beer in the bottles, putting some in the fridge and some in a cooler. My question is how to go about this.

Should I bottle, with a corn sugar primer, and let the yeast carbonate at a warm temp? or should I keep it a cool 50-54, or should I keep it a cold 32-40? What should take precedence, the need to carbonate or the need to lager? Should I bottle at all or should I wait it out? I'm not in a rush, I just have a hard time keeping the temps down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm not an expert on lagers...

Here is a thread that might give you some more information.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=60543

I assume if your lager has been kept cold for the past 2 weeks you are done with fermentation (since that happens at 40-50 with lagers). At this point I'd agree with Yooper in the previously mentioned thread and just bottle it, let it carbonate at room temp, then put it in cold storage for a month or two.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply