Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > lagering question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
urbagurba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default lagering question

ok- first lager -boil and primary went well. racked into secondary at 50F. sitting on it now 2 weeks total into fermentation....the questions are- am i ready to bottle? do i carbonate at room temp for a week or 2, or do i take it down to 35F after bottling?. any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.. my thoughts are to bottle. let sit off refrigeration for beer to finish up foro a few days, then back down to refrigerator temps........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
brockettbrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

im doing two lagers right now. im lagering them in the secondary. then bottle.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbagurba View Post
ok- first lager -boil and primary went well. racked into secondary at 50F. sitting on it now 2 weeks total into fermentation....the questions are- am i ready to bottle? do i carbonate at room temp for a week or 2, or do i take it down to 35F after bottling?. any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.. my thoughts are to bottle. let sit off refrigeration for beer to finish up foro a few days, then back down to refrigerator temps........
Well...can you post your recipe including yeast you use. What tempature did you ferment at? Did you check gravity before racking to a secondary?

Typically lagers are left on the yeast (primary) For at least 3 weeks. Then transfered to a secondary (or keg) to lager for 4 weeks or longer. 50 degrees is proper primary fermentation temp....but is too high for the lagering process. You should lager the beer at between 35-45 degees. The colder being the better.

You cannot be in a hurry with lagers. They just simply take more time to ferment/mature/condition. Also pitching rates/yeast oxygenation/ferm. temps have to be watched closely if you want a good lager.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
urbagurba
Recipes 

bottled a week ago. beer is clearing nicely will sit on 35-40 in bottle to finish up...wyeast 2124 starter, 6 lbs pilsner, 2lbs six row,1 lb each carapils cara malt and flaked rice (for clarity). saaz at 60 min and hersbrucker at 15. gravity steady at racking looking right at 5.5 %abv. beer was fermented 8 days at 50, 8 days at 50 in secondary.probaqbly will crack 1 in a week knowing that its still at least 2 weeks till its properly lagered.. it tasted amazing befor priming- even had a little carbonation, so i backed off a bit on priming sugar....

Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Most people will lager bulk lager their beer. ! week for every gravity point. Example 1.040 would lager for 4 weeks in the lower 30s. Then bottle and let carb for 3 weeks at 70. Then cool back down and enjoy.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Here's my basic lagering procedure:

1) Primary at 50-55F until you reach 75% of expected FG. So if OG was 1.040, and expected FG was 1.010, 75% would be 1.022.
2) At 75% expected OG, diaceytl rest at room temp (about 70F) for 48 hours
3) After diacetyl rest, transfer to secondary and lager at 36F for 6-8 weeks.

That's what I do!

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cider
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have done "bottle" lagering (and on my last batch), "batch" lagering. The Batch lagering turned out much better. With basicaly the same recipe. Much less sedement on the bottem of the bottle and not even one finning used!!

Quick Reply